Buying a new home or torturing ourselves?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by goathiker, Aug 6, 2019.

1. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

For those that haven't been following, we found a nice house, went clear to closing, then found out it had been moved twice... No loan. The next 2 we found had also been moved more than once, our broker got a clue and started asking that question first lol.
    We're at closing yet again, for the third time in 2 years. The very first house cost us $3500 in lawyer's fees to get out of a "goat property" that turned out to be within city limits.
    Anyway, so far on this one, we've had to buy a new manufacturer tag for the half of the double wide that was missing it, pay for inspections, well testing for flow and bacteria. The owner had to shock the well, another test courtesy of us, yeah.
    You all know what happens when a well isn't used for months right? The seller has replaced all the plumbing throughout the house, exterminated the carpenter ants, and put earthquake straps on the hot water heater. We're just waiting for him to get the new uv light filtration system installed so we can pay for yet another water test!

Word of experience, if you ever sell a house with a well, turn the water on for about two days if it's been sitting.
    Everything still looks good, the uv system should work fine and we get a free whole house filtration system to go with it lol.
    So, delays and the bank account's bleeding but, it might be worth it.
    One side effect, we no longer have WiFi sorry, @ tothboergoats I have a first generation smart phone that's really really stupid. I do have a new one on the way because there isn't any WiFi where we're moving.

This property is across the Willamette valley in the foothills of the Cascade mountains. The entire 5.8 acres is on an eastern slope. There's a large springfed pond, an acre or so of grassland, shop, barn, spring house or ice house, 3 bedroom double wide, neglected landscaping, a mature monkey puzzle tree, and three acres of timber.
    There haven't been any animals other than chickens and rabbits for many years.
    On the interesting side, there's an old easement from 1938 for the telegraph still in effect. With the spring house and the random rose bush, I'm looking forward to finding the original farm house with my metal detector.
    The veterinary clinic has four large animal veterinarians, one of which grew up on an Oregon dairy farm, an alternative medicine vet, and OSU is fairly close.
    I don't know, I'm not getting excited yet (yeah right lol)

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
  2. Dwarf Dad

Dwarf Dad Well-Known Member

That eastern slope sounds good. HELLO, sunshine! Wishing you all the best to get in there! We will really be staying tuned in for your "collarding" when you get to that.

3. Sophie123

Sophie123 Active Member

Feb 18, 2019
    Virginia
    Good luck to you, hope you get your house!

We had to pay cash for our property, we would never in a million years gotten a loan for it, but it worked out for us, since we sold our property in Florida ( house in downtown Orlando) for way more than we payed for this. Can you save up cash to buy something? We got a huge property with lots of buildings for half the price we sold our single family house with small yard for because most people don't pay cash and it sat there for 3 years. The water comes from a spring off the mountain and supplies half our neighbors ( we got rights to the spring added to the deed) , nothing is up to any code, built by the Amish who knows when without proper permits, no utilities of any kind other than the spring water. But we are in the middle of nowhere and can have any animals and do pretty much whatever we want with the property. Oh , it did have goat fencing in place, needed repair but mostly it was fenced.
    Something to check into if this doesn't work out for you

Treva Brodt, GoofyGoat and Iluvlilly! like this.
  4. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I understand the nightmare that is buying a house. When we bought ours it was nothing but one problem after another. It was a foreclosure and even with an inspection, we found way more problems. It was worth it in the end but it has been 5 years of hard work to get it where we wanted it and still not totally done.

GoofyGoat and Iluvlilly! like this.
  5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    What a nightmare and no wi-fi, that really sucks. :(

There is so much involved when selling and trying to seek a new home, especially being from another state. As I am trying to do now.

I wish you the best of luck and hope things work out for you. :hug:

GoofyGoat and ksalvagno like this.
  6. mariarose

mariarose Well-Known Member

Hugs! and Hang In There!

7. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I got excited for you when I read
    Oh how I love to learn history of old places. When we moved from Ca to TX we paid cash after the sale of our CA place..but still the head aches that we dealt with. This house came with a picture of the old home stead..so cool. Hubs is always talking about the next time...NOPE..Im fine here lol not sure I want to do that over again lol. Best Wishes Jill on your new place!!

mariarose likes this.
  8. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    OH and no wifi? UGH..we pay through the nose for ours and it hardly ever works!!

Treva Brodt, HMNS and mariarose like this.
  9. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Wow it sounds wonderful! I hope and pray all goes well and you can finally move in! I totally agree that moving and trying to find the right place can have it's tortures! We've been contemplating moving for a couple of years. We are torn as we love our location, love our neighbors very much, but only have a couple of acres, a creek runs through the middle of it, and it's too small for what we're trying to do with the goats! But land is so darned expensive here that it gets exhausting looking. We always end up 'just' missing out on a good deal. I want to keep my daughter in the same school system/county, and the only 'more affordable' places are on the southside of the county - my husband doesn't want to move south. We've considered a neighboring county, but it's getting expensive too.

GoofyGoat and toth boer goats like this.
  10. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    I have never had the pleasure of house-hunting /purchasing. Everybody I know recounts how horrendous the process is but I can't help idolizing it!

Wishing you luck & happiness & success in home buying!

11. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

It is fun to house hunt. The purchasing part is the torture.

12. mariarose

YES!

13. goathiker

House hunting can be hazardous though! One little farm we were looking at had a really gross room. It looked and smelled like someone just locked their dogs in there and let them pee everywhere.
    They hadn't even cleaned. It's not that hard to rent a shampooer from Wal-Mart.

14. goathiker

That place had weird vibes anyway. I walked part way into the forest and it was cloying. I felt like I was in the Blair Witch forest.

15. mariarose

No reason to pay good money to have to walk around with your hackles up...

goathiker and happybleats like this.
  16. singinggoatgirl

singinggoatgirl Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2016
    the deep south
    I love house hunting, but buying is torture. I hope things work out for the best for you!

goathiker likes this.
  17. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    We went and looked at a place a month ago, really inexpensive. The land is okay, tall sloping hill going down to pasture, but goats would love it (not in the winter time with mud!). Modular home that was old and needed a TON of work. People are hoarders and the barn is completely full of junk - but cleaned out completely I definitely think has potential. Such a bummer. If it had been a house and not a modular home, and if they guaranteed clean up, it would definitely be worth it.

We bought the place we have back in 07' on contract with the seller, so it was really, really easy! We sat down with his attorney to draw up the contract and go over everything and paid him or his wife directly. We paid it off early, and they knocked a few thousand off at the end which was really nice of them to do.

This is our side of the county and the places available currently - 5 acres or more. We'd need to play the lotto and win in order to afford anything here! :(
    upload_2019-8-7_9-16-9.png

Southside of the county is about $400 but closer to $500,000 for something with a house maybe barn/outbuildings/fence. But too far of a drive for my husband. We've definitely considered going north, but I really want to keep my daughter in the same school as I mentioned before.

House hunting is fun, unless you find the right place and it's either the wrong location or when you inquire it's already pending! Nice places with good prices sell like crazy around here, they don't stay on the market long at all.
    There was a place up the road from us that sold for something like $350,000 - 17 acres, house, barn & would have been perfect for the goats! But couldn't jump on it fast enough.

toth boer goats likes this.
  18. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    If you’re moving your goats onto well water, well - don’t. Unless it’s not hard (which is rare), because you’ll be in for a world of problems.

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  19. elvis&oliver

elvis&oliver Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2018
    Pa
    Good luck with all of it hope it works out for you:)

goathiker likes this.
  20. goathiker

So on the ph scale 7 is considered pure water, below 6.5 is acidic, and above 8.5 is alkaline (calcium). The well tested at 7.4 which is very pure basic water.

On the hardness test 1, 2, and 3 are soft water and anything above 3 is gaining hardness (iron). The well tested at 2, again very basic uncomplicated water.

We're moving off of spring water, you want to talk about issues lol.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019