buying and selling

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by countryboy, Jan 2, 2009.

1. countryboy

countryboy New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Do ya'll like to sell in the winter or summer?

2. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    Actually Spring... I have the most sales in the Springtime. They sort of slow up by summer, and get really slow by winter as most people don't want to house animals all winter long.

3. countryboy

countryboy New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I'm making the jump and going get some minis, so the other mutts have to leave. My question is do I sell now [at the sale barn], or do I wait till spring? I'm looking at it like this, I take a hit to feed them, or I take a hit to the price I paid for them.

4. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I don't really have a problem selling any time of year. . . . I have to turn a lot of people down most often because I do not have enough animals for sale.

What is the market like in your area? I would try advertising them now (on craigslist or another free form of advertising) and see what happens. Ask what you paid for them and give it about a week.

If you figure out the cost it would be to keep them until spring and it is more than you'd like to spend, then I'd just take the hit and sell them now. If it doesn't look like it'll cost a whole lot then maybe keep 'em around til then. I guess what you decide to do all depends on the goat market in your area now.

5. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    We sell everything really easy in spring, by summer there's fewer inquiries and then by winter there's maybe 1 every couple weeks.

6. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    I would take the hit and sell them now. If you think about it, if you keep them you are taking a double hit because you take the hit on the feed bill but you also spend a lot of your time caring for them, and time is money!

7. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I would try and put an add up and sell them to a private party first, and then possibly take to sale barn. I just hate to see anything that goes to a sale barn. Are they pregnant or in milk? I personally have people contacting me almost daily asking if I have any goats for sale right now in milk - just might surprise you!!!!

8. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    omg .. i would try and sell now! i spent 2 months trying to sell my boers.. and i had to wind up taking them to the stockyards anyways and i lost my A$$