The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been offered a buck from a herd that has CL.
He doesn't have an abscess now, but he's been in contact with does who do.
Is there any way to treat CL? He comes from awesome bloodlines but I don't want to take the chance of bringing CL into my herd, is there a way to bring him home without introducing it to my girls?
The local vets don't know much about it, so I was hoping someone would have a suggestion. Nobody has been able to tell me if it's treatable, or if an animal has had it once will it always be in their system?

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Some people consider it treatable and manajable. Personally, I would pass on this buck. Just not worth the risks IMO.

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
I would NOT bring him to your place.

·
city-turned-country girl
1,137 Posts
Please, don't risk it. Instead of improving your herd's bloodlines, you might kill off you herd.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
It is treatable and manageable but it is a lifelong condition and fairly contagious.
If the place is able to manage 2 herds (pos and neg) and he's only been with the neg herd then I would entertain it. Otherwise, if they're all run together and he's had dates with CL goats, I'd pass. Even if he was only with neg, I'd require a serology test to find out his titers before taking him home and I'd give him a bleach bath before he was on my property.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Oh wow ok! At least everyone agrees.... Is it something that can be tested for like CAE? So if he tests neg would it still be possible that he is a carrier?
Except for the symptoms I actually know VERY little about it.
Probable why he was such a good price :confused:

Thanks everyone for your advice!!!

·
Registered
30,581 Posts
I agree...its risky..there is a blood test you have have done if the breeder is willing

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,082 Posts
The good price is an indication. There are so many negative herds ... it's just not worth it IMO. Kudos to them for being honest, though. Some people manage CL very well ... sometimes it can be managed just through vaccinations and culling ... but it could also mean the end of your herd.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow those are really good threads!
And after reading that I realize at some point I will probably end up with it because I do show, but no sense bringing it in to my herd any sooner than I need to!
Thank you!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My problem is the complete lack of Nubian genetics around here :/
Anyone know of any awesome Nubian herds in Canada?? lol

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
it can be avoided even if you do show, lots of breeders out there who show and have negative herds. just have to be diligent when you're out and about when goats and/or farm clothes.

where in Canada? I'm planning to move back there, and have been looking all over for goats. :)

·
Registered
30,581 Posts
You could go AI : )

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
yes, I've also come across quite a few in Ontario and Quebec. seems to be more in the West though

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
In BC or Alberta... I know there are some in Ontario and Quebec but it's too hard to get them here...

Tried AI for two years now with NO success at all, I got our vet to do it, and went 50/50 with someone. bought 23 straws ended up with ONE kid!! (and it wasn't mine :mad:)
I want to try it again with a natural heat and see what happens... any tips on getting does to catch from AI??

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,082 Posts
You can even fly in a good little buckling from a farm across the country! I have a buckling from Alabama, and I live in NJ.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts