Caddy's Triplets!

Discussion in 'Birth Announcements' started by imaginationacres, Apr 4, 2010.

1. imaginationacres

imaginationacres New Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Virginia
    Well after another long night at work and my poor mother on baby goat watch Caddy looked like she wasn't going to kid.. She seemed very normal and was out and about grazing in the paddock around 8:30 am when I got off work..

Two hours later right before our mid-morning rather late breakfast I went out and there was Caddy in the middle of the paddock surrounded by a trio of very new babies!!

So there was scrambling to grab the kidding kit, get each baby dried off, cords dipped, and so forth. Momma Caddy was doing a great job on her own and seemed to think we humans were going about the cleaning off of babies incorrectly... tongues not towels.. :slapfloor:

There are 3 little bucks! One is very tiny, one is rather large. The big one seems to have a funny back leg that isn't quite straight and seems to give him trouble with walking. That's a selenium issue I think??? The other two are walking around just fine. Should I supplement momma Caddy with Selenium? Would BOS be enough? She had a Bo-Se shot a month ago.. I don't want to overdose her on selenium. Thank you for any advice, I can try and get better photos of him later if you'd like to see what it looks like when he walks on it, maybe even a video.

And now the photos!!

[​IMG]
    The big buckling!
    [​IMG]
    Sprawled out
    [​IMG]
    Big buckling next to small buckling
    [​IMG]
    This one's white fur is longer than his black fur!
    [​IMG]
    Brothers!

2. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    wow they are all incredibly cute! SOrry that they're all boys :(

LW

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    congrats on the kids!!! yes you can give the weak one a shot of BoSe - its 1cc per 40lbs so if you have a 1cc syringe its marked in units so you give 1/2 unit to a new born kid usually.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    So cute....congrats... :greengrin:

5. Seven Dwarfs

Seven Dwarfs New Member

Jan 17, 2010
    Brush Prairie Wa
  6. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Congrats! They're gorgeous! You should name that black and white one Stache or maybe Ron Jeremy lol

7. firelight27

firelight27 Hopelessly Addicted

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    Love that first buckling. I snap him up in a heartbeat.

8. greatcashmeres

greatcashmeres New Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Maine
    Congratulations on the three, a wonderful group! :stars: A cute birthing story-guess Caddy wanted to do it on her own, at least the first part. :wink:

9. imaginationacres

imaginationacres New Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Virginia
    Thanks everyone! :clap: And thanks Stacey for the Bo-Se info, hopefully his leg will strengthen in time. So far Caddy is being a pretty good momma goatie. She is a little inattentive which is a big difference from Dixie but the babies are being fed well.

Its so much fun to have baby goats!

10. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    CONGRATULATIONS X 3!!!

They all look so different...an just ADORABLE!!