CAE and bottle feeding

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Nupine, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    Why is it that many people who test for CAE and it comes back negative, still bottle feed kids. I am NOT trying to be mean, I am just wondering. I don't think it is so they will be tame, the two doelings born in my herd last year were fully dam raised, and they are the sweetest things ever and are not mean to the other goats. Can a kid still get CAE from a doe that doesn't have it?

2. Sara

Sara New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Ellensburg, WA
    Nope, for some it's just a personal choice. And because some buyers won't buy goats unless they are raised on CAE prevention.

3. doublesacres

doublesacres New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    CT
    In my area noone will buy dam raised babies. At least not full size dairy goats.

4. doublesacres

doublesacres New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    CT
    In my area noone will buy dam raised babies. At least not full size dairy goats.

5. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I think its because a lot of people who show are exposing their goats to other goats that are potentially CAE positive. I got a buck from someone a couple of years ago who had a negative herd and they came home from the 97 national show and had animals start popping up positive. Sadly they had to send their entire show string including their 97 junior national champion to the auction.
    Goats can still get CAE even ater they are weaned, it can be transmitted through blood and others say by just being around positive animals, which i don't know is true or not.
    beth

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    to the auction just for CAE - don't get me started! ARGH

If I ever test for CAE and the doe is negative the kids will be dam raised. If CAE positive then the kids will be bottle raised if possible or sold to pet homes.

That is just the way I will do it. Personal choice.

7. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Yes its all in personal choice. I know a lot of people that one buy from you if you have a cea positive animal. Im thinking about dam raising my kids this year if everyone turns out negative just because i have so many late kids i want them to get the good start and grow.
    beth

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    my thing is - why test the moms if you are going ot bottle feed the kids anyway! So if you pay the money to get them tested then enjoy the less hassel of bottle feeding :D it is your reward

9. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    Sometimes it is just easier to bottlefeed kids then to keep them in the same pens with the older does. Plus why not continually use prevention of CAE. Just because your whole herd is negative one year does not mean there wont be one or two positves the next-especially if you show your goats or allow other folks who raise goats to touch your animals. I'm not saying that they'd necessarily have positve animals-but how would you know for sure unless you've seen their test results? I used to be one that thought to that all positive animals should be sent to the auction-but if a person is responsible and keeps the postives separate from the negatives and milkes the negiatives before the positves than it can work. Also positives dont always show physical signs of being positive. Oh and bottlefeeding doesn't always prevent CAE. Personally I think CAE sounds like it is a whole lot easier to control than CL would be.

10. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    I think we are going to test our herd next fall for CAE. We've had several people inquire about our goats asking if we test them and we say no....and we never hear back from them. I think testing also gives you a peace of mind...as long as they come back negative, of course! We still plan on raising kids on CAE Prevention even if all of our goats come back negative. If we do get any positive goats....I plan on seperating them. We are going to Holly's(we have kids reserved from her) on MLKJ day to learn to draw blood, so we can do the testing ourselves. We will be sending our blood samples to WSU. I was looking on WSU's website about CAE and they said it is rare for adults to pass it on to each other, unless they have an open wound or something like that. I also read that milk tests aren't as acurate(SP?), but I am not sure.

11. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    i agree with stacy that it is a personal choice. i have the time & enjoy raising mine by hand. also if you want to sell to most people for breeding stock they want them raised on C.A.E. prevention. i don't test mine unless a buyer wants it tested. to me it is a waste of money if you show. i could have them tested today,go to a show tomorrow & be next to a herd that is pos. so i don't test unless the buyer request it. i enjoy hand raising my babies & i am home all day so i have the time to do it. i would never get rid of a goat just because it tested pos. there are ao many chances of getting a false result with the test.

12. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    I might be getting a 2wk. old bottle baby.He is boar/lamancha.I have never bottle raised a goat so I guess we will just see how it goes.I don't know if he or his moms been CAE tested or not.

13. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    I prefer to leave the kids on the dams, but I may chose to raise a few this year, since our horse stalls are up and I would have a place to put them. Yet, milk replacer is expensive, and I will have way too much milk anyway. We have 5 does kidding this year and I can't milk very well. I only had to milk a doe once a day for 2 weeks and she was nearly dry. And I don't even like goat milk yet! Plus we have a small family. So it just works for me. I agree it is simply a personal choice.

14. jBlaze

jBlaze New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Oregon
    I think it is most efficient to test a bit before they kid. that way you can feel better about dam raising from a doe that is recently negative. And you can seperate any positives and be sure to snatch their kids right away and riase them on pasturized or negative colustrum and milk.
    We will begin testing ours soon, we have three due in about four weeks.
    Ya, I agree, some people get really wierd about CAE and others just don't seem very concerned. I wish it were not such a problem!
    J.

15. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    Well, acctually I wouldn't be surprised if older does got it from other does in their pen because if does kid in the same pen as all the other does then you'd have some that will clean on the kid. If a person is responsible and pulls the kids off of their CAE postive does than I say it is not so bad. But if people dont ever test or know that they have postive does and let the kids nurse off of them then that is where I have the problem. I dont think it is fair to automatically make a kid postive if you can prevent it from happening.

16. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    i do agree that you need to have the doe kid in a pen by her self & take the kid right away. i hand breed all mine so i know just when they are due. i put them in a stall by them selfs with a monitor so i know when they start to go in labor. i am ther for the delivery & i take the kid right away & i clean them off & put them in a tote while i deliver the next on. my does don't even get to sniff them or see them at all. it makes it esier on the doe that way also.