The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All. I am new here and new to goats. I have only had goats since 3/2013. I have 3 Nubian Does , 2 ND Does and 2 Nubian/ND buck babies. I just recently purchase a ND Buck to mate my 2 ND Does and because I got him from a friend did not isolate him for the first couple of weeks and he got one of my ND pregnant. He has since been put in a pasture with one of the Nubian/ND bucks. the other one is still too young. I just recently tested all my goats and he came back CAE positive. I am getting him retested to make sure I didn't get a false postivie but my question is what now? Do I have to worry about him and my young buck sharing a pasture? What about my Doe he got prenant and her baby?

·
Registered
30,581 Posts

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
The thread Cathy mentioned is really good.
In a nut shell - it's not transferred in breeding, most commonly transferred in colostrum, but it can be transferred through blood contact - as in 2 bucks fighting and getting bloody. I would move him if he were mine. And yes, retesting is good. Where are you sending the test to? A reputable lab? WADDL?

·
Live. Love. Ride. Milk.
511 Posts
It shouldn't get past through breeding whether the doe or the buck has it. I have a CAE positive doe that I have been breeding to the same buck for 3 years and he is negative as are all the other does he services. You can move the buck if you want, but I probably wouldn't. I take a little less...worrysome? way of handleing CAE. I never buy as doe or buck that are CAE, but the one I own have never gotten any of my other does or buck sick and has never shown any simptems. I am not saying it is not serious, but I choose to keep my doe and she and all the other goats are fine.

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
Doesn't WADDL use either an AGID or ELISA test? I can't remember but I think there is a lab where you have to choose if you want the test run with the AGID or the ELISA. I would make for sure that it was an ELISA test as those are way more accurate. I would retest him also just to be sure, was he stressed right before you tested him? Vaccinated, wormed, etc? Sometimes stress/illness can cause a false positive due to them fighting off an illness, getting vaccinated, etc. Also if he is less than 6 months old you can often have a false positive.

As far as separating him, it's really up to you. I would keep him separate just to be sure he doesn't give it to your other buck while fighting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts