The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hear about having your animals tested for this, even read how to take the blood yourself, but where do I go, what do I need to do to get these tests done and are they very expensive?:D So what all things do I need to have them tested for, Not including Cocci and worms.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Go to the waddl website. There are forms, instructions on what to do, where to send the blood samples, and prices. I tested for CAE, CL& Johns disease. I think another one is bio tracking but they only do CAE I think.

·
Registered
30,594 Posts
First KUDOS for testing : ) Biotracking also does prengancy test..
.to pull your own blood can be scary at first..my first try my goat screamed and fussed I stopped andputmy supplies away for a year lol...fianlly a firend came and showed me how to do it and I did 11 in about 30 minutes and actually spilled less blood than my experianced friend lol..SO dont be afraid to do it your self..it doesnt hurt the goat any more than a regular shot and saves you money to DIY...best wishes..

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much for this info, Now where do I go to get the supplies I need to send off for testing? I looked at the waddl web site and found the prices, just haven't searched everything yet, don't have the time at the moment!. Also I heard you can test for worm load yourself with out doing a fecal sample how is that done?
Thanks
Laura

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I hear about having your animals tested for this, even read how to take the blood yourself, but where do I go, what do I need to do to get these tests done and are they very expensive?:D So what all things do I need to have them tested for, Not including Cocci and worms.
You will need a red-topped blood collection tube that has been marked to identify each individual animal either by name, ear tag, or tatoo number - you can get them at Jeffers.com or through your local vet. You will also need a 6-12 cc syringe and 20 gauge needle for each goat that you are testing - again, you can get them through Jeffers.com or at your local vet's office. Draw roughly 10 cc's of blood from each animal, using a fresh needle and syringe for each, and immediately transfer to the red-topped collection tube. Either refrigerate immediately or have a cooler with an ice pack handy to store the collection tubes in depending on how many goats you are testing. I'm not sure if you can put the collection tubes directly on the ice pack or if you need a towel between the two - WADDL should tell you that. You can then take the collection tubes to your vet and they will send them to whoever they use - probably the state lab, or you can log on to WADDL's website to find out how to send them in yourself. I don't know what the cost for WADDL is, but whatever they charge it is worth it IMHO. Around here I can get my girls tested for around 5.00/girl for CAE and CL each.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts