The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 8 year old buck who served as my herd sire for most of this time. He was my first buck, and because I was inexperienced, I didn't know to ask for CAE test status. He turned out to be positive int he first year, but he's served us well.

He's getting up there in age, and the poor fellow is in rough shape. The herd is getting a good quality mineral with extra copper and selenium and the Meatmaker supplement added. He's getting good quality hay and seems to be eating well. He prefers to stand off on his own and is visibly swollen on all knees and very thin. I am about to worm him with Valbazen (already wormed with Invermectin earlier) and give him a good bath, but I am nervous about clipping him, because a) he has trouble getting up and standing on the stand, b) we've had a lot of rain and I am worried about his comfort if he gets a chill. His hooves have gotten very hard and brittle, and maintaining them has been a challenge.

What are some ways I can offer maintenance care to him? He's retired from breeding, obviously, but he stays on as a pet and friend. We want him to be as comfortable as possible.

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
About the best thing is to wish that his knees fuse together. They seem to experience much less pain then. But getting up and around is very difficult after that. Not a lot can be done once they show clinical signs :(

1 - 3 of 3 Posts