The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,
I want to establish a healthy herd and my next step is to test for these diseases.
I have watched a few videos on how to do it so that's not my question.
My questions are:
  1. where do I get the collection tubes for the blood?
  2. Will these syringes work: https://www.jefferspet.com/products/luerlock-syringe-needle?
  3. What do I do with the blood after it's in the collection tube? Like should it be refrigerated or something?
  4. And how do I ship it to get tested?
  5. And what size syringe and blood collection tube do I need?
Thanks!!!!!

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
You can order a large pack of the tubes from jeffers or some places sell singles I order singles from leedstone. You want the 3ml red top tubes and a syringe as big or bigger than that to draw blood. I refrigerate if its sitting over night before I ship. I use the usps flat rate shipping and send with an ice pack during the warm months.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can order a large pack of the tubes from jeffers or some places sell singles I order singles from leedstone. You want the 3ml red top tubes and a syringe as big or bigger than that to draw blood. I refrigerate if its sitting over night before I ship. I use the usps flat rate shipping and send with an ice pack during the warm months.
Thanks!!!
I will look into leedstone for the red top tubes, Jeffers had 100 packs and I definitely don't wan't that many!!!
So just package normal just use an icepack?

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Thanks!!!
I will look into leedstone for the red top tubes, Jeffers had 100 packs and I definitely don't wan't that many!!!
So just package normal just use an icepack?
Yep just make sure to put the tubes in a ziplock bag I wrap mine in paper towels as well saves them from a big mess if one happens to break on the way

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
Smaller collection kits are sold through other labs. This is my current favorite lab and they sell good kits: http://ubrl.universalbiopharma.org/how-to-send-to-lab/livestock-diagnostics-collection-kits.html

Otherwise I ask on local Facebook Agriculture sites to pay someone (not a veterinarian) who has the tubes to come draw blood if I want to save money. Or I pay the veterinarian but he leaves me the samples to mail/submit myself.

I use the USPS priority mail small flat rate box ($6.95 I think?)

There are packaging and very good shipping instructions on that website

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Smaller collection kits are sold through other labs. This is my current favorite lab and they sell good kits: http://ubrl.universalbiopharma.org/how-to-send-to-lab/livestock-diagnostics-collection-kits.html

Otherwise I ask on local Facebook Agriculture sites to pay someone (not a veterinarian) who has the tubes to come draw blood if I want to save money. Or I pay the veterinarian but he leaves me the samples to mail/submit myself.

I use the USPS priority mail small flat rate box ($6.95 I think?)

There are packaging and very good shipping instructions on that website
See Im not a fan of the kits I had a heck of a time trying to use that double sided needle & collection most of them come with. Ended up tossing those and sticking with the syringe

·
Premium Member
4,675 Posts
Thanks, I would like to learn it myself and it doesn't seem to be very hard
If you have a vet.. they might sell you some vac u tubes And syringes. Mine will give me the few that i need a year. But i also have him come once a year to check everyone over good a d to disbud.... so i have a relationship with him. And you can get needles and syringes from a farm supply store.

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
Hi all,
I want to establish a healthy herd and my next step is to test for these diseases.
I have watched a few videos on how to do it so that's not my question.
My questions are:
  1. where do I get the collection tubes for the blood?
  2. Will these syringes work: https://www.jefferspet.com/products/luerlock-syringe-needle?
  3. What do I do with the blood after it's in the collection tube? Like should it be refrigerated or something?
  4. And how do I ship it to get tested?
  5. And what size syringe and blood collection tube do I need?
Thanks!!!!!
You can get the tubes from Jeffers or amazon.
Where you ship it kind of depends where you live. Mine goes to Texas A&M where as some people ship it to a different lab each lab will either post on their website or answer by phone their specifics. Red top tubes are pretty standard in size it's how much blood is needed that you have to pay attention to.
Sorry I can't be more specific but it's really depends on your lab.

·
Registered
585 Posts
These are what I use to draw, I buy from PBS animal health. Once you hit the vein you push the vaccutainer into the rubber covered needle to fill the red top with blood. It's a little safer than transferring from a syringe to a red top.

IMG_8726.JPG
IMG_8727.JPG
IMG_8728.JPG
IMG_8729.JPG
So I'm not sure which lab I want to use yet.
Are there any you would reccomend?
I used bioPRYN last time I tested, but they don't test for cl or johnes. I only wanted CAE and pregnancy tests when I chose my lab. I'd recommend finding a lab first then buying your tubes so you end up buying the appropriate size.
Each lab will have their own specific instructions that may vary slightly.

Also, make sure to buy several more red tops than you think you need, I've had some that lost their suction so you don't want to be short on tubes.

Also my biggest problem came with the post office, I was told the samples didn't need a biohazard sticker by bioPRYN but the post office lady INSISTED she put one on. It took 3 weeks for my samples to travel from my hometown to the lab that was 100 miles away. Luckily my samples got there in the nick of time and they were able to run them.

Edited for spelling.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts