The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To test or not to test? I would really like to test all of my goats for CAE/CL, however my parents balk at the very idea of wasting money on it. They say that they look healthy...meaning they are perfectly fine. I read on FiasCo farm that you can get false positives from testing because the goat has the CAE antibodies, not the actual disease. They suggest that you should only be cautious if the goat is showing symptoms, in which case you should take action and decide what to do. I really love my goats, but is it really worth testing for? Both diseases have fairly obvious symptoms, but should I wait until it progresses that far to be able to see them? I'm mainly worried about getting back a positive, and not being able to do anything about it. We can't really separate anything because we don't have another goat-proofed pen, and I don't know if I have the heart to cull an animal when it otherwise looks healthy. I can test, I just don't know if it's worth the money or the stress of knowing that you have a sick goat you can't do anything about.

Scrapies tags...the Oregon State Fair rules says that you need a scrapies tag to show, however when I look at breeders' websites that show there, none of their goats have tags. Is it just a certificate? I have a 10 week old ND doeling I want to show in a month, and I really don't want to tag her if I don't have to, I love her ears and I hate it when the tags leave the holes. Also, where can I get a scrapies tag/certificate?

Any advice or information will be greatly appreciated!!

·
Super Moderator
58,864 Posts
Are your goats registered? If your goats are registered, you can usually use the tattoo in their ear and their registration. I would contact the fair manager or person in charge of the goat show and find out.

As far as testing, that is totally up to you. There are a lot of people who do test but there are also a lot of people who do not test.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Scrapies tags...the Oregon State Fair rules says that you need a scrapies tag to show, however when I look at breeders' websites that show there, none of their goats have tags.
No, scrapie tags are actual tags, but there are 2 different types. One looks like a regular ear tag with a number and your premise identification number on it, and the other is a small metal tag with etched numbers - like a brucellosis tag - that clips into the ear somewhere.

As far as testing goes, that is a decision you are going to have to make. To me, testing is worth every penny it costs.

·
Boer Lover 4 Life!
2,991 Posts
For CL testing, I prefer to test the puss of an abscess than do the blood test just because I've heard of too many false negatives/positives. Personally, I would test for CAE and Johnes because those symptoms are not as obvious. For scrapies, I would follow Karen's suggestion but as far as where to get them, usually there is a tag day at the fairgrounds and you bring your goat and have it tagged. Everywhere is different though, so check with your county extension agent or 4h leader.

·
Registered
30,575 Posts
I didnt test for a long time...when I did test I had four Does positive for CAE..it was heart breaking...they looked perfectly healthy..shiny coats, no swollen knees..great milkers..but they were positive....I can tell you this from my own experiance...Not testing didnt change the fact they were positive..but it did risk the others in my herd and every kid born here...Biotracking cost $4 per goat which is pretty cheap and well worth it to know..I now know the girls I have are healthy and CAE negative....and that, I admit, is a good feeling..

·
Registered
448 Posts
excuse my ignorance but what is CL???? I know what CAE is as its tested here by Dep.Primary Industries and we are issued with a certificate which has to go to every show any DGSA member attends.We don't have Scrapie in Aust or Rabies,teejae

·
Registered
30,575 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I read on FiasCo farm that goats can be CAE positive just if they've been exposed to it and have developed the antibodies, which is what the test looks for. However I think I will test...at least for CAE. I'll talk to my parents about getting that, and a pregnancy test done through biotracking for cheaper.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And my doeling isn't registered yet. I'm going to hopefully get that sent out today or tomorrow. But she is tattooed and ready to go otherwise! I'm going to revisit the website and reread what it says specifically. Because of all the videos and pictures I've seen of the fair, none of the dairy does have tags.

·
Registered
30,575 Posts
On the test results you get a "score" of sorts ...a percentage, for ex: My Daisy Scored 4.0% which is very low negative..while my Positive doe scored 88.0 which is a very high postive..if you get one that lands in the marginal catigory, I would retest in 30-40 days, just for insurance...dont give any vaccinations prior to pulling blood..this to can alter the results..from what I understand, not enough for a false positive..but might be enough to cause concern...so if they got CD&T lately or been on antibiotics then wait at least 30 days..then pull blood...
A good friend told me that "this is not a full proof perfect test..but its all we got and better than nothing...what ever we can do to stop the spread of CAE is our duty"
I agree with her...best wishes

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I read on FiasCo farm that goats can be CAE positive just if they've been exposed to it and have developed the antibodies, which is what the test looks for. However I think I will test...at least for CAE. I'll talk to my parents about getting that, and a pregnancy test done through biotracking for cheaper.
There are several different tests that test for CAE. If memory serves, the AGID is the one that has a tendency to return false positives. Waddle has a cELISA test that they say only returns a false positive in 4 out of 1000 goats tested.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It says:

"GOATS (OREGON ANIMALS OR OUT-OF-STATE)
All individuals exhibited must have a premises ID through
the USDA Scrapie Eradication Program."

So a premises ID, does that have to be a tag or can it be done through registration?

·
Registered
30,575 Posts
contact your Local Farm extention...thye should be able to point you in the right direction for the scapies tag,

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
It says:

"GOATS (OREGON ANIMALS OR OUT-OF-STATE)
All individuals exhibited must have a premises ID through
the USDA Scrapie Eradication Program."

So a premises ID, does that have to be a tag or can it be done through registration?
That is a tag that is issued by the USDA and their phone number is 1-866-USDA-TAG (866-873-2824). When you call them they will get all your information and then assign you a premise ID - mine is WYO7078. They will then send you however many tags you request - I think the limit is like 200 - that have your premise ID printed on them. Again, you have the choice of a small metal clip-type tag or a regular ear tag. If you opt for the regular ear-tag, the tag will have sequential numbers you use to identify each individual animal. By all means, talk to your show leader. But only the USDA can assign premise ID numbers. The good news is that the tags are free, and they come with a tagger.

·
Super Moderator
58,864 Posts
Some states allow tattoos. I have a tattoo ID that I can use that is basically my herd ID tattoo for ADGA and AGS. So I would call them and find out what you can and can't do.

·
I'm watching you
22,271 Posts
In Oregon your registration tattoo IS your scrapies number as long as it is from a recognized registry and you call 1-800-USDA-TAG to set it up.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you so much goathiker! I saw on the ODA website that they just assign you a number, not that I needed any tags. Now that I know for sure that her tattoos will cover it I'm happier :) I would have hated to put her through the stress of tagging...as well as having to live with a hole in her ear. I have to set it up and..."activate" it though? Or just to confirm it? Thank you to all who gave me the info! I will test for CAE as soon as possible.

·
I'm watching you
22,271 Posts
Since you didn't breed her, your registration paper and her tattoo should be all you need. Make sure her tattoo is readable. Yeah, I'm in the process of redoing x number brought in does mumble mumble...bad words...
Once you start breeding your own you will need to have a premise ID set up and tied to your tattoo numbers from registries. Oregon also allows Scrapies numbers tattooed on non registered goats for many things.

Call the fair superintendent. They will have up to date info.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
contact the usda in your area and get a scrapies tatoo number then tatoo your goat. your vrt will use this number as well as her registration tatoo to fill out the health cert. some states require that show goats over six months have rabies vaccine as well as be tested for cae and cl. also follw the guidelines of the usda to keep you goat safe from other goats that may be contagious.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts