The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So if you have a dam that is CAE free, and you have a CAE free sire, both proven CAE free, why would you need to pull the kids and bottle raise them. Why wouldn't that be the ideal way to guarantee yourself CAE free kids?

Then, if you wanted to purchase another CAE free dam, you could, and build up your herd that way, knowing you'd not have any CAE + goats.

DonnaBelle

·
Super Moderator
31,640 Posts
I dont pull...it doesnt make snce to me to pull for cae prevention off cae negative does,.....It also produces undo stress..but that is my opinion..many have their own reasons to bottle raise.....and I repspect their choice :D

·
I'm not addicted - I'm in love!
4,912 Posts
I agree with Happybleats.
I think one reason people pull kids from negative does, is that the CAE test can be less than 100% accurate. A goat could have a very mild case and test negative, then test positive later. Theoretically, the kids could catch it before you even knew the doe had it. It's unlikely, and I don't know if the theory has ever been proven, but anything is possible.
You need to weigh the risks against the benefits, in your own particular situation. For me, going through all the work of bottle raising isn't worth the .1% (or whatever low percent it is) decrease in the likelihood of CAE. It's overkill. And as Happybleats said, it puts undue stress on the animals.
But everyone has to make the decision for himself.

·
1,524 Posts
There are as many reason as there are goat owners. Everyone's idea of goat raising is different. Most people who pull the kids are doing so for disease prevention and milk production.

·
Super Moderator
59,593 Posts
There are a lot of people who feel that the only way to guarantee CAE free is to pull the kids and pasteurize the milk. So the kids never drink raw milk. It does also save the dam's teats and udder if you show. Plus you can sell babies quicker if they are on the bottle.

I can see the benefit but just don't want bottle feeding taking up my time.

·
Super Moderator
31,640 Posts
pros and cons both ways ...:D

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, for the replies. I thought everyone that was saying they were CAE negative only did say that if they bottle fed the kids.

I wonder, can CAE be in the soil?

DonnaBelle

·
Super Moderator
31,640 Posts
there is still so much unknown about CAE....I think more questions than answers...each can only do what we can to prevent the spread. I know of a lady whose CAE positive doe had twins...one baby doe was positive theother negative...they are four years old and tsted each year...nothinghas changed for either one...still one Neg. and one positive...we just know everything about this disease at all...

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
10,704 Posts
If I had a CAE positive doe, I would put her down and raise all kids on my farm on CAE prevention for at least 2, maybe 3 years, until I was sure everyone tested negative for several years. Sometimes the test is not 100% accurate. As it is, I adore letting my families be together ... dam raising is not for everyone. Many like the additional security of pasteurizing the milk. Many like having all kids be bottle babies for the friendly factor. Because I have a very small herd (our current limit is four breeding does, three bucks), I am able to leave kids on momma and still have super friendly kids because I only have a handful each year. :)

·
Banned
5,939 Posts
So if you have a dam that is CAE free, and you have a CAE free sire, both proven CAE free, why would you need to pull the kids and bottle raise them. Why wouldn't that be the ideal way to guarantee yourself CAE free kids?

Then, if you wanted to purchase another CAE free dam, you could, and build up your herd that way, knowing you'd not have any CAE + goats.

DonnaBelle
Unless you've been in the business a long time, you test regularly, and your does/bucks have never came in contact with another goat there is no such thing as "proven" CAE free. I can think of a couple of reasons to pull kids in the event an owner suspects her goats have been exposed, or another doe or buck tested positive - 1) CAE tests are not always accurate and, 2) It can take several years for CAE to show up.

·
Banned
5,939 Posts
Thanks guys, for the replies. I thought everyone that was saying they were CAE negative only did say that if they bottle fed the kids.

I wonder, can CAE be in the soil?

DonnaBelle
I don't think so. CAE is a retro-virus and, by the definition of virus, I do not believe it can survive in soil. Most soil-borne illness/diseases are bacterial - tetanus, CL, black-leg, anthrax, etc.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts