The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Arg! I just picked up a buck to breed with my two does about three days ago (picked him up a bit premature as we were waiting to get the results back from the vet on CAE). I live about 4 hours away and was only able to do the trip then so I was unable to keep waiting on results. I risked it anyways and put him in with the does and he has certainly mounted them multiple times by now. Sure enough we just heard back that he is in fact CAE positive. I don't actually know if my does have gotten pregnant yet, I haven't become an expert at telling when they are in heat. So now I'm unsure what to do. I want my does to get pregnant however I worry having this buck around will be a threat to them and their kids. We'll probably butcher him sooner than anticipated however I wonder how difficult it may be to find a CAE negative buck before the end of the rut, if he hasn't impregnated our does yet? Or what if he has and I were to find a new buck? Wondering what others would do in this situation!

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
CAE is not usually passed through breeding. If I were in you shoes, I'd pen him separately so that they can't touch,(because it could be passed through small scrapes etc. anything that causes bleeding) and breed him when your does come in. They are already exposed in that manner anyway, so it won't hurt. I'd sell him once pregnancy was confirmed in the does.

·
merryoaks
4,249 Posts
Just hand breed, keep him away from them the rest of the time
It won't pass through breeding. I owned a CAE+ buck for three years(as well as a CAE+ doe) and used him quite a bit. I even ran them with other goats and kept it contained to that doe and buck, never passed to anyone else. Really the only ways it passes are through blood and milk

Reactions: Goat_Scout

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
one thing to consider is the CAE blood test can be wrong if the goat is ill. If he was ill from the trip to your place of picked up a new bug in your field the results could be off. so test again. to test your girls the most accurate test for CAE is the colostrum milk test. I had one girl that tested positive with the blood test but the milk test she was very negative. I use the blood test as a scan of my herd. then the milk test for individuals.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts