The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Autumn
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I hope you all are having a wonderful afternoon/day. I've been lurking around for the past week getting answers to all the questions that have crossed my mind since getting our first baby. He's a sweet little 3 week old Nubian with so much personality. My family is totally in love with him. But, he's the only goat we have and I want to get him a buddy ASAP. In the future we want to add a doe or two for milk and more babies.

Since we are total newbies when it comes to goats, I am needing some advice.

I've found another little Nubian buckling for sale that is around the same age as him, but after speaking with the seller I found out that the buckling's mom tested positive for CAE. She told me his dam that they sold was positive but he had been raised on store bought milk and cae free from testing goat colostrum.

My question is, is this too big of a risk to introduce to our little guy? I don't want to buy the other goat if there's a possibility that this could affect any possible kids/milk that we may have in the future.

Thanks for any help/insight/wisdom that you all share.

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
I agree, it's very unlikely if he was truly fed store bought milk and colostrum from a negative doe.
I've raised about 7 kids that way and they were all fine :)

·
Katrina
3,315 Posts
I bought two goats from a 4h family a few years ago. I knew where the dam came from and she was tested cae negative. They pulled all kids and raised on a bottle with heat treated milk for their cae prevention program.
When the kids were old enough I sent in for testing. They both came back positive for cae. The family had been mixing in milk from all their does and must have had a positive that they didn't know about and weren't properly pasteurizing.
After what I went through, I would never buy that way again.
There's just too much risk. Especially since you know the dam was positive.

·
Autumn
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for the input. The lady sold the buckling before we were able to go and pick him up, so it's no longer an issue. We got pretty lucky after she told me they had sold him, because shortly after my husband found a little moonspotted buckling for sale. We went and picked him up yesterday and he and Bilbo are already playing and cuddling up together. :fireworks:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts