The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried searching for CAE and cae, both come up with no results on the forum, but I know there are probably a lot of posts about it somewhere? Am I doing something wrong?

There is a lot of conflicting information about transmission of CAE on the internet, I saw only through milk/colostrum, I saw that plus feces/water/soil/saliva, etc. Our vet today said it's only passed through milk/colostrum as well as the placenta.

If it's passed through the placenta, there is no point in ever breeding with a CAE positive doe and removing the kids, right?

I've seen a lot of information saying people remove kids before nursing to avoid CAE, but if my vet is correct that wouldn't matter at that point.

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
I have had CAE + does in my herd, starting way back when it was first identified. (yeah, I'm that old). None of the kids that were pulled at birth and fed pasteurized colostrum and milk tested positive for CAE, so I seriously doubt that they get it thru the placenta.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
K, thanks. I'm so confused, now I see more research saying they think it can be through saliva, runny noses, etc. I will find out if she has it on Tuesday, but would hate for that to spread to all the others.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Yes, Google searching with the search term,(i.e. CAE) and then a space, and then site:thegoatspot.net works much better. And it works for all sites too, not just TGS.

A majority of people-breeders and vets-agree that CAE is passed through blood and milk. Some people claim that it is also passed through saliva and breeding, but I don't think that has been confirmed. Personally, I have pulled a few kids at birth, from positive does and raised on pasteurized milk, with no positive kids. It doesn't pass through the placenta, though for good measure, the does were not allowed contact with their kids-as soon as the kid was out, it was picked up and taken away.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts