CAE/other diseases and shows?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by ecologystudent, Jun 26, 2009.

1. ecologystudent

ecologystudent New Member

May 29, 2009
    Lacey, wa
    I just got warned that I "take the chance of picking up that CAE or some other disease" if I take my goats to a show. So, for those of you who do show, how big of a risk do you think it is? I automatically think that there would be some kind of health check animals would be subjected to, but I don't know, and even if there is, I'm aware that there are probably some diseases that could slip through.

I read that CAE is usually transmitted through the milk, some times through blood/other bodily fluids, and rarely through adult goat contact (except during lactation). So, and I maybe being naive here since I've never gone to a goat show, couldn't you simply prevent your goats from touching other goats? Maybe that's way harder than it sounds.

And what about other goat diseases? I don't know how common they are and if I should be worried about them.

What do you guys think, and what do you do to try to avoid infections at shows?

2. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I would think it'd be very, very difficult and uncommon to get CAE from a show. You can bring home other problems though. Mainly respiratory from shows.

I haven't been to a show in quite a while (just don't have the time). The next show I go to, I will be bringing tarps and probably bungees to attach the tarps to the pen walls. That will prevent other goats from rubbing noses with my goats.

It's important to provide some probiotics when taking them to and from shows. I also give a dose of Nutri-Drench and Rescue Remedy in their water.

3. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Health checks are done for obvious outward signs of lice, soremouth, lumps.
    I try not to let my girls in direct contact with anyone else.

4. ecologystudent

May 29, 2009
    Lacey, wa
    So, it sounds like you do your best to keep you goats from contacting other goats, and beyond that you don't worry too much, right?

Thanks!

5. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    I have been showing various types of livestock for ... I dont know how long, it would have to be almost 8 yrs. 15 - 20 shows a year. In that time, I have only had TWO instances where I picked something up from the show - nothing nasty like CAE, CL or Johnes. Both cases were a bacterial scour - one was in a 4 wks old calf I had, the scour ran through all the calves in the shed, but he was okay after it passed through him. The other was a scour in my goats, that developed a week after the show (but I'd seen actively scouring ones there). I did not lose any to it, but a friend who was also at the show, lost a good doe, but mainly because he was slightly new to goats and didnt recognise that something was wrong early enough, and he also made the decision to euthanase the doe (which I didnt think she was at that stage yet).

6. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Others might do it different, but heck if I worried about everything that might come down the pike I wouldnt be doing this.
    First of all, my foundation stock came from CL tested herd. Up until last year I used her bucks & did not have mine tested.
    Then I had all my breeding age does tested for CL & CAE, used a buck from a different farm who was also neg on both.
    It will be good to hear from others on this cause in my case I have not purchased any additional animals & plan to keep it that way but will probably get breeding does tested again & have to charge more for them and thier off-spring.
    Once back from a show I run all feet through bleach water as they're unloaded so they dont track someone elses worm load onto our property. We also disinfect our own shoes.
    We also always bring probious paste if we see even a hint loose poop.
    I have had goats that for no earthly reason get a snot nose the day to head out & I always leave them home Im not bringing that to the public.
    The last time we were out I discovered exposed wire in the pens. Duct tape is a good thing to always carry.

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I have separate pens I use and I rarely pen my up near other goats. I try my best to keep mine from others but they do rub on them from time to time while standing ring side but I know most of the breeders test so there istn a worry there for those in my area.

Also the chances of transmitting CAE at a show are rare. Respitory infections are a higher risk.

If you are worried then do as I have done and get yourself some dog exersize pens and pen yours separate. Thats what everone here does

8. harmonygoats

harmonygoats New Member

Nov 19, 2007
    Northern Arkansas
    If you can pen back to back with someone you know and tests their animals. We have a friend and we always try to pen that way, then put tack pens between us and the next herd. If you don't have a friend you can pen your own back to back. More work but it works. You are more likely to pick up respiratory,soremouth,pinkeye and ringworm at shows. We show alot and I think once we ended up with pinkeye(which we picked up at our local fair)

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Just curious if everyone has watched ...what the judges do ...as the goats... come into the ring..?
    They check there bites and teats ......
    when they are in the ring ...they also feel and point out faults or the good things about the goats.....all this is touching one... goat... to the other...indirect contact...but it is exposure.....so your goats are in contact with the others even if you are so careful... to keep them away......the judge does not wash his/her hands in between goats....and alot of goats go through the show ring....

It is unlikely for CAE ...to be transmitted that way....my :2cents: :2cents:

10. grandmajo

grandmajo New Member

Oct 14, 2008
    Pioneer, Ohio
    I know of one lady who shows nubians, and they carry wet wipes when they show, and give them to the judge to wipe his/her hands with prior to touching their goats. If I remember correctly, they started doing that when a CL positive farm started showing their goats in the same places that she was showing hers.

11. ksacres

ksacres New Member

Oct 30, 2007
    San Antonio Texas
    All it takes is a bucket of milk from a positive doe to be within reach of your animals.

I have one doe that loves milk above all things, and I am very careful to make sure she doesn't get into anyone's milk if she goes to a show. At every show I worry that someone will set a bucket of milk in front of my pens and she'll snarf it down.

It's not all that common, but it does happen.

One thing I have seen is using a "pen guard" type thing, it's like a sheet of plastic that is vented that keeps the your goats from sticking their heads out, and keeps other people's goats from sticking their head in.

12. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    that's a great idea.

13. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I have thought about showing - but in honesty - it scares the heck out of me ..... mainly CL - which is part of the reason that I have chosen to vaccinate for CL in my herd.

IF I were to show, I would ONLY go to day shows - not shows where I would have to leave the animals at the fair for 10 days as in our county fair close to here or for 5 days at the local fair closest to me. That way I can have my own pen away from the others to where they are not in immediate contact with one another.

It has been brought to my attention that there are a few breeders in my area that have animals with abcesses and they still bring the animals to fair. Even if there is not an abcess present, if there has been on on the property, there is a risk of the animal bringing it on their hair coat, their hooves, or on the owners shoes - ext. I know that this is far fetched of a chance, but prior to vaccinating, these are things that I was thinking about, researching, and considering when coming up with a protocal for vaccinating along with my long term goals of wanting to show.

14. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    here in Australia for the dairy goats particularly, you arent allowed to show without testing each animal negative for CAE and Johnes, and sometimes CL depending on the show

15. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    We have been showing for 9 years. We have never had a goat come home from a show with more then a runny nose. Who is to say that she had it before and it just got worse there, like allergies?

PLEASE people do not think that your goats are going to get CAE or CL from a show. We were just at Estes and one of the people that was there showing has a horrible outbreak or Johnes in his herd. They have not shown in two years because of it, and they only brought the goats that of course have never tested positive. They made sure they were away from everyone, no one was a stalling next to them at all. I did my research and the only way of getting it from his herd is if they are penned together, and they ate where the goats peed and pooped. It is like the Aids Virus.

I don't know about where you are all at, but here if you go to any show you have to have a health check. All the goats are felt all over, teeth, lips, butt,teat hoofs all looked over very well. Also they are felt all over for CAE lumps. Matter of fact they felt a "lump on one of my goats last year and almost didn't pass her but we had to explain that is where we give CDT.

There is no way we can NOT be near someone else s goats because all the barns are packed. When we go to show there are like 250-300 goats. So what you do is put your tack stall between your goats and the next peoples goats. We do that only because that will help them to stop butting at the fence.

I know what you are talking about when a judge goes from one goat to the next, looking and touching. I am so sorry that your judges do not wipe their hands or better yet use gloves. In out shows, the judges use gloves when they look at the mouth (Or they have the kids/showman show the teeth and the bite). When I judge, I have the showman show the teeth and hold the tail up if needed. If I am just feeling them for condition of the fleece, I do not wear gloves.

Also what I do before I stall, I use a Lime or Sweet PDZ in the stalls. I have always done that. I have never had a goat come home sick.

I did have a friend bring home some sheep from a show that had sore mouth. They were penned by other sheep that had it, but that is all I have EVER heard of.

FOLKS if you really would like to see how good your goats are, take them to a show. First of all you are missing out on a great time, meeting new and other breeders, don't be so worried, MOST and I do meant like 98% of the people that are at shows really care about their animals and they would not bring a sick goat to a show, so really go and have a great time. Once you go and show you will be hooked.

16. ecologystudent

May 29, 2009
    Lacey, wa
    Sweetgoats, sorry to be naive, but what is the lime or Sweet PDZ you are talking about?

Thanks!