CAE PERVENTION

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Jarrod & Jody, Oct 16, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Jarrod & Jody

Jarrod & Jody Active Member

Oct 16, 2017
    Shady Point, Oklhoma
    hello everyone! I don’t know much about CAE, for I’ve never had it with our herd. I’ve seen lots of post of people asking if the herd is CAE TESTED, which all of our goats are clean and tested. What exactly is CAE? If a female goat is pos for CAE, will it carry on to the kidds? Can CAE be transmitted threw breeding? Like buck to doe or doe to buck? I’m just trying to figure everything out Incase I’m ever faced with this.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  2. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I’m not sure what you mean when you say “SAE.” Do you happen to mean CAE? Caprine Arthritis Encephalitis?

There’s no prevention or treatment, other than good management.

It can be transferred through milk as well as other things.

If a female goat is positive, she will not carry it onto her kids genetically, but if they drink her milk it will pass on, so you’d have to separate and bottle feed them immediately.

Usually CAE presents as limb and joint issues, weight loss, failure to thrive, weakness, etc. but mostly involving arthritic tendencies and symptoms appear in the arthritic form at about 1-2 years of age, and the encephalitis part is often seen in young kids at around 2-4 months of age.

Morning Star Farm likes this.

3. Jarrod & Jody

Oct 16, 2017
    Shady Point, Oklhoma
    I’m sorry yes I Meant CAE. Thank you so much.

NigerianDwarfOwner707 likes this.
  4. Jarrod & Jody

Oct 16, 2017
    Shady Point, Oklhoma
    Thank you so much, I just didnt know what it was ! Thank you!!

NigerianDwarfOwner707 likes this.