CAE Positive

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by jduwall, Jan 9, 2010.

1. jduwall

jduwall New Member

Aug 7, 2009
    I just had to talk to someone who would understand. I adopted 4 goats; absolutly beautiful on Oct. really thought this would be my herd; My buck is unbelievable-sweet; beautiful....finally got back my blood work and all are CAE positive. The 2 I already had are neg. I am just crushed. Both does(CAE pos) are bred to the buck(CAE pos). I contacted the breed and she is just floored. I really like her-she has a clean, freindly farm. All of her goats are from extremely reputable breeders. She is just devastated. Her whole family is.

so now what do I do? I just can't do nothing. I don't have the room to seperate everyone. and what about the babies..is it really true that the babies could possible be CAE neg....

OMG--I was so careful----first I lose the first 2 babies I get and now this...maybe I should have goats----but I love them...the barn is my place of peace and harmony...I just sit and cry.....

thanks for listening to me all my goatie friends...you are such a blessing to have

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    First off where did you test through? there is one lab in particular "pav lab" that is not reputable and gives false readings all the time.

Yes you can pull kids at birth and bottle feed to ensure CAE negative.

3. jduwall

jduwall New Member

Aug 7, 2009
    the lab was PADL in PA. have you heard of it

4. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    no I have not. Did they use the ELISA test?

where did the previous owner have them tested through? goats dont just suddenly become positive and for all of them to be positive...I would be retesting them through a trusted lab.

biotracking does CAE testing with the ELISA test for 4.00 a goat -- www.biotracking.com

5. jduwall

jduwall New Member

Aug 7, 2009
    I had all 5 tested...the 3 I got in Ohio tested pos...the 2 I have had tested neg...the breeder in Ohio didn't test them herself she just believed what the other breeders told her. She has had goats for over 10 years and has NEVER had any symptoms... That is so strange that all of hers are pos...

The form says it is the cELISA serum test...is that the same thing

Stacy thanks for your advice..I really appreciate it

6. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I do believe that would be the same test.

Can you call the lab to talk to someone about the tests? I know with WADDL and biotracking they will retest if they believe it was a false reading.

But it could be that the lady got one CAE positive doe and spread it through her kids or if she botted fed any kids with that does milk. IT only takes one doe to infect a whole herd if you are unaware they have CAE.

CAE doesnt always show up with symptoms. A goat with CAE who lives a long and healthy life is actually in some ways a superior doe because she is able to stay healthy against the odds. The test is looking for antibodies and where the virus is there are antibodies against it. So some goats have a high antibody count but that means they are fighting it and winning (so to speak) but they can still pass it onto their kids and they may not be as lucky to stay healthy. Thats the hard part.

if you like the genetics of those goats then I suggest you pull kids, bottle feed and then either replace the does or be willing to always pull to bottle feed. THe milk is safe to drink so if thats part of your goals for having goats they can still be useful.

I have never heard of CAE passing through breeding. Its only from blood to blood contact (open wound to open wound) or through the milk to kids.

7. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    :hug: I am sorry to hear that. I would definately retest. WADDL seems to be the best to test with. But they can still live long healthy lives and if you want to, you can always bottle feed the kids at birth so they will stay neg.

8. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    I say retest your goats with a different lab. I always use WADDL. CAE in your goats doesn't mean the end of the world, depending on what your plans/goals are for them. I would have much rather had a few of my goats be positive for CAE then Johne's. I know how crushed you are with any kind of a positive result.

9. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Personally I trust biotracking more than WADDL, but thats just me. Biotracking is also easier to work with. ;)

10. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

As others have said i would re test, but while you are waiting i would seperate the pos from the neg. kids can be negative IF you catch them at birth heat treat colostrum and pasturize milk, and bottle feed. CAE is something that can go un detected for years. some goats never show signs of it. others get so stiff and sore they can barely move. As far as reputable breeders i have learned to never trust until i see papers proving. You could be dealing with the nicest people in the world and still have CAE. Its probably not the ladies fault. somewhere in her mix she picked up some positives. It does happen. I had a buck turn positive several years ago. We have tested every year and culled the one positive, havnt had it sinse, its been five years.
    beth