CAE question regarding wether

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Cinder, Jan 25, 2009.

1. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    I'm just trying to learn here... if a wether were to test positive for CAE can it be transferred to other goats in the herd? If it can't be transferred would you even test a wether for CAE?

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    My understanding is no that they can't pass it - 99% - but I still test so that it is on record that everyone is negative

3. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    I have heard they can pass CAE by blood. :worried:

4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    There is always definately the possibility, but I believe they have to ingest the blood before it dries - not sure though. I personally won't risk a CAE goat in with my herd. But that is me.

5. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Montana
    CAE is usually passed through the colostrum or milk, so a wether would pose little risk to the herd. Still, I would not knowingly take in a goat with CAE even if it were not producing milk. It costs just as much to feed a goat with the disease as it does to feed a healthy one and even if there is only a miniscule risk of other goats becoming infected, it's not worth my reputation as a goat breeder to keep such an animal. I'd put it in the freezer if it were me.

6. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

From my understanding CAE can be transmitted like AIDS, so goats butting heads, can get pass it to other animals if there is an open wound on each goats head.
    CAE is still a big mystery to me, A friend of mine had a de test positive several years ago....her daughter has tested negative several times, she drank milk from the positive doe. I have heard of people using positive bucks on negative does, but they hand breed they dont let them go on with foreplay and what not.
    I had a negative doe my friend had the older half brother whether who was positive. I never tested the dam as that was before i got into showing and testing so i dont know on that doe, but both offspring were dam raised sort of, the whether did, but kept drinking from mom even after she freshened, so the doe drank from mom for a few days and i finally took her because her older brother was eating eveything.
    beth

7. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    I would keep him separated from the rest of the herd-it can still be transmitted through blood I believe. Goats with CAE can have a good life and not live without showing signs of having it-they should live separately from the goats that do not have CAE though.

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    If it were me... and I know he has CAE positive , he would not be added to my herd or property what so ever.. it could be a potential problem in the future....think of it this way to...it is so heart breaking to watch him....maybe get more and more crippled ...in pain ....as time goes on....and have to put him down...after you are attached .... :tears:
    It is not worth any risk to a healthy herd ,that you cherish and want to remain healthy. But this is my opinion .....With all the questions on how it is transmitted , it is just to risky.... :shrug:
    But it is your decision to make..... :hug: