CAE question

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by sparks879, Feb 5, 2008.

1. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

So i have the option to buy a really really nice three year old. She is absolutly outstanding. She was bottle raised on pasturized milk and heat treated colostrum. She has tested negative for CAE three years in a row now however she is running with some CAE postive animals. They have all tested negative for CL. What would you do? I hate to see her go to the auction with the rest of the herd. They are getting out of goats. She is too nice for that.
    I could quarinteen her for a few months and test her a few times. What do you think? is it worth it? or should i just turn my back and look elsewhere?
    My entire herd is negative
    thanks in advance
  2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    is she running with other does / wethers / or bucks?

My vet said told me that if I had a wether or other doe the chances are slim that it would be contagious - but with a buck that is postitive - definatly contageous.

I personally have no CAE positives at my ranch - but this is what she told me in September.... What do others think?

3. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Ok, this is a tuffy. CL is the worst, so if everyone tested negative that is good. If she is a good price and really nice then I MIGHT would buy her if I was you. Of course I would quarantine her for awhile, while I sent a few tests off to several different labs.

Oh and Beth if you have a pic of her could you pm me with it? I am curious to see her.
  4. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    I know of a lady that ran her positive animals with her negative ones and her negative animals never tested positive even though they ate out of the same feeders etc at the positives. She was sure to milk her positive goats last though and milked them by hand.
  5. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I don't have any pictures of her, i will take my camera next time i get over there. She is only running with other does. and a couple whethers. both the whethers tested negative. she was bred to a cae negative buck this year.
    I just hate to see this doe go to the auction, i havn't seen her udder yet but i like like her confirmation.
    They do have two does, seven years old dam raised one is negative one is positive. They have been housed together their entire lives. And still one is negative and one is positive. Im still questioning CAE and how its transmitted.
    thanks for your opinions.
  6. susanne

susanne New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    for what it is worth, if you are not planning on keeping her separate for at least 12 month, don't do it. you have a clean herd now, why would you want to risk it? some does can test negative because of low antibodies, because they are not stressed. what i want to say is, this doe might test negative now but will seroconvert in the future if she is under stress. if this doe has very valuable bloodlines and can be an important part in your breeding program, you might want to take the chance. other than that, i would not do it.
  7. Sybil

Sybil New Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Rainier, Oregon
    Beth, I think there are too many unanswered questions about the transmission of CAE. If you didn't have a completely negative herd then you might want to take the chance. You do have a negative herd and have worked hard to maintain this status and to take a chance I beleve is too risky. You know that she is running with positive animals. I personally don't believe CAE is transmitted easily but I'm not willing to take the chance. I have always been very picky who I pen next too at shows and hate people coming over and petting my goats after they have been petting everyone elses goats in the barn. I always had my water buckets away from the next pen as I didn't want other goats trying to drink out of my water buckets.
  8. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Usually at shows I try to make a pen outside, so as not to be right next to other goats. Sometimes you can't find a nice grassy spot to set the pen up and you have to be next to other goats. I think there would be enough stress when moving to cause her antibodies to surface, and then you could pick them up on a test (if that is the case). I really don't know if I would do it though.
  9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    You know my stance on CAE Beth - so you know my answer but I will stay it anyway. I would get it if you can quarentine her till she tests negative. TO me it is no different then if you bought her off someone who tested their goats every year and they all came up negative.
  10. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    If you like her I would go for it. CAE can not be transmitted by being near others. CL on the other hand can.
  11. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I know this is such a touchy subject. Yes her lines could be very valuable to my breeding program her sire truman was a buck i owned a few years ago. Truman was bred to several of my does before he got mean and started destroying fences. He was three hundred lbs of pure aggreassion, I am not a very big person and just couldn;t handle him anymore. I was afraid to go into the pen with him and he knew it. I couldn;t have a buck like that around. I sold him for meat. A month later my does started kidding. Everyone that was bred to truman had bucks. I never got anything out of him, and i lost over five hundred dollars on the sale. Needless to say i was very disapointed. I do have the space to quarentine, but its only going to be for about three months, i don;t have the space to quarenteen for a year. I wish i did. And i am going to have babies soon.
    I really appreciate everyones thoughts on this. Im still up in the air about it. I don;t want to contaminate my herd at all. I have worked too hard for this. Sue i know what you mean about people petting goats. Its frustrating, but at fairs and stuff its hard not to let kids, especially those that have never seen a goat before.
    the lady said she would keep her until she kids. I think she was very upset because she just had to put her favorite goat down. She said she is going to hang onto them until they kid. And i could possibly get a doe kid out of her, which i would pick up the day she was born and bottoel raise. but at the same time i have several does freshening, this doe is three this year and i was looking at an age class i don;t have.
    I will have to do some major thinking.
    thansk again guys
  12. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    if it was me i would get her. i8f she always tested neg & only tested pos one time then i would get her & keep her quarintined for thew 3 mos or until i could get her tested again. i would milk her last & by hand & if you don't need the milk than i would dump it. my vet always told me the chance of one got getting it from another just by being with them was a very slim chance. it is thru the birthing fluids & milk that is the easiest way to get it. if she has great lines i would get her. it would be ashame to have a really nice got go to the sale barn.
  13. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

thanks Fritzie. Like i said the lady is a good friend and she will let me know when hazel is officially for sale. Thankfully. The doe would be at the neighbors property, they have an empty horse stall and small pasture they said i could use. She would have her own grain her own buckets even her own milkstand. She would be a good two acres away from the other goats. And i would feed her last. I won;t need her milk unless i ended up with her kids too. And even then she isn;t due till june so i will have a lot of my kids weaned byt hen. So i will probably have extra milk. I still have a lot of time to think about it. The lady was asking about a buck out of one of my does. So i may even be able to trade IF i were to get her.
  14. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    good luck beth on what ever you decide
  15. sixshooterfarm

sixshooterfarm New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    I thought that CAE was not a sexually transmitted disease????? SO why is it highly likely they will get it from a buck?