The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So waiting on results from a blood test pulled on a FB boer doe.
Doc said we should know the results on Monday. Gonna be a long weekend.
She turned a year old in May. She can't bend her front knees at all.
How likely is it that she will be CAE possitive at that age?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
yup it'll be a long weekend indeed. cae is the first thing that comes to mind for me. it scares me to death but we always test and it is always a long weekend. good luck hope it's negative!!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks enchantedgoats. I'm holding on to the slight chance that its not but its hard to stay positive about something so serious.

·
Registered
31,463 Posts
CAE is a possibity, hopefully test results are neg : ) we are waiting for our annuel results as well..wont know til Tuesday ...
also could be injuring ...anything happen lately that could cause this?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Amy I can use all the positive thoughts I can get.
Happybleats I've not had this girl long so not sure. We've never tested the whole herd before I bet we start after this. I've never been more ready for a weekend to end before. I can't imagine waiting for so many results at once.

·
Registered
31,463 Posts
yes..I sent in 11 viles this time..five last time...waiting is hard!!! Good thoughts and blessings coming your way : )

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Finally got the test results back.
Good news is she's negative for CAE.
Bad news Doc basically said she can't be helped. That her knees would never be able to get straightened out.
He did say If I wanted to try to splint them they would be happy to help me with that.
She doesn't act like she's in any pain and is eating/drinking/peeing/pooping/chewing cud all normal.
I can't just throw my hands up and give up without a fight for her.
It's just not my nature. So any ideas would be most appreciated.
Thanks So much for your help and kind thoughts on this. ^-^

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Well, thank god the cae was negative!!
If she can't bend her knees then i dont think splints are going to help. Are they swollen if so cortsone might help. Aspirin is cheap and good for pain. I think i would do range of motion exercises with her. It might work and certainly wont make it ant worse. Was she born like that or has this developed over time. Try a linement when you do the exercises.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm not sure splints wouldn't possible make it worse. She would not be able to even lay down if they were in splints would she?
Her knees don't seem swollen or even painful to her. She lays perfectly normal, they just won't straighten when she tries to stand.
Basically her knees stay in the laying down position when she tries to stand up if that makes any sense.
She did this almost overnight. She had a slight limp one day and within two days of that couldn't bend them. :confused:

·
Registered
31,463 Posts
several years agon My Husband bought me a beautfil tri color Lamancha for my birthday, when I saw her I was instantly heart broken...her knees were painfully swollen.. I had her tested and sure enough CAE Positive. She was aleady bred so putting her down was not an option at that time...we kept her in a private pen where we could spend plenty of time with her, lots of extra hay for a soft bed in her shelter..we gave her MSM for horses, daily Bayer aspirin and FLax seed . We got her through the pregnancy and cold weather..she kidded triplets, we caught them all...and our vet humanly put her down...it was very sad...but my point is about the treatment that helped her through that.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Where we are in Australia(Queensland state) we have to test for CAE every 2 years. Once all tested Neg. we are then issued with a certificate of Accreditation by The Department Of Primary Industries as proof of testing Negative.This certificate has to be shown at every sale and show the goat goes to for its whole lifetime.No certificate No showing and you don't have a hope of selling to other Dairygoat breeders without it.No untested dairygoats can cross the border from other states without having been tested for CAE or Jhones(we don't have to test for Jhones in Queensland only if the animal is going interstate)All paperwork is checked at Border crossings no matter which State or Territory any cloven hoofed animal is transported to/from.
The sad thing is CAE is still around and dairygoats are in some states still testing possative :( teejae

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Happybleats that is such a sad story. :(
I'm glad you were there to get her little ones safely into the world though.
I can probably get the MSM at a local ranch supply, but I have no idea on the flax seed?
How long can they have aspirin safely?
I gave her a dose of banamine yesterday and she moved around the pasture grazing some while I was at work I could find several places where she had been laying down out there.
I'm worried about giving her the banamine for long as I've read on here that it is unsafe as a long term pain reliever.
Thanks for the advice. ^-^

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
is she in pain?? do you have a picture of her? can you massage and bend the knees?

glad it's not CAE.

·
1,524 Posts
It may just be something she was born with. I had a doe who kidded twin kids this year with knees like that. Her normal 2012 daughter just had a buckling with the same issue. All are given BOSE and minerals, so not sure what the problem is, no one else ahd that issue. May be culling time.

I wouldn't spint her this late in life. Her bones are already developed and hardened.

·
Registered
31,463 Posts
you can give apsirin once daily...you can get flax seed grounded at walmart in the baking isle...Goats are among some of the few that canhave it whole and it still be useful...but grounds is cheaper I found..I buy big bags of Cold pressed golden flax at cosco..I use it an all my cooking lol..so the goats get the good stuff when they need it lol..flax is has natural antitinflamitory benefits..it also is an oil in seed form...so if you have any skin issue in your goats it can help too....MSM can be purchased in human form as well but we just used the stuff for horses..also keep her her weight down will help ith how much pressure is on her knees..best wishes

1 - 16 of 16 Posts