CAE testing

Discussion in 'Mini Mania' started by ProctorHillFarm, Feb 16, 2009.

1. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

Pshew- we spent last weekend pulling blood from all 25 of our herd members to send off to Waddl. It was the first time pulling blood ourseleves, and Im happy to report it was a fairly easy task, so was sending everything to Waddl, and Im happy to report we just got the results back today and our entire herd tested negative for CAE and CL.
    :clap:
    If anyone has any questions on pulling their own blood feel free to get in touch. :)

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Congrats!!! I am so glad that more people are choosing to test for the well being of the caprine world!!! :hi5:

3. ProctorHillFarm

We meant to do it last fall and time just got away from us. We bought all of our stock from tested herds so I was fairly sure we wouldnt have any problems, but I guess you just never know!

4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I can vouch that you never can unless you have the paperwork to back it - had an incedent where something in my gut told me to test the goats from a herd before I brought them home (was getting 7 of them) and yep over 1/2 of the herd of 15 were CAE positive

5. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    That's great!! Congrats! :)

6. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    We did our last test ourselves too. It was going to be a vet-done deal, but we had sold a couple does and they were waiting to be picked up and if we wanted them included we had to pull them ourselves. So we figured, oh its just a couple, we'll do them ourselves. So we did. Those goats left and then we figured since that went so smoothly, that we'd just do the whole group ourselves. So we did. Went very well and was great to have it done. This year we've been back and forth on the doing it ourselves or vet. I think due to budget it'll be ourselves. LOL We haven't finalized any date yet as to when. I wanted to do it before kidding started but alas kids could be starting to arrive late next week and there's just no way it'll get done by then. So I may look at a summer test or possibly fall.

7. ProctorHillFarm

It was much more cost effective to do it ourselves

I think it ended up costing about $400 for all 25 CAE and CL tests plus Accession fee and shipping. Our supplies to pull them was about $40
    So aiming high about $450 for a herd of 25 goats....

Now that sounds like a lot until....... we got two does tested that we are getting this weekend down in NC for CAE CL and Johnnes and the bill was $130! :shocked: For two goats!

8. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Yeah its at least double here when we have the vet do it. You're paying them for their services on top of the testing. Much more cost affective to do it yourself.