The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Hearing someone has tested and received good results always gives me a sense of satisfaction. There aren't any guarentees in life except if you never test, you will be helping to spread diseases sooner or later.
Congratulations!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Yeah, but it is best to test often-even if your herd comes up negative each time-if you go to shows or allow other animals on to the place-or even take yours onto others places-than you run the risk of them getting CAE or other diseases. That is why we test often.

·
Registered
336 Posts
We always hold our breathe while we are waiting on results. We are very careful when people visit the farm. We require them to wear boot covers on their shoes and use hand sanitizer but we do show and with showing there is always a risk. We do try to pen our goats next to other breeders that we know test so as to cut down on the chances but you never know. We came back this year ALL neg to CL and Johnnes (sp). We didnt test this year for CAE. We are alternating between CAE and Johnnes because the tests are so expensive here. some states have a program that helps out with the costs. If Arkansas has one, I havent found it yet. It cost us $340 dollars this year to test our whole herd for just the two but we will always test for CL. It is the most prominent risk for us. We also keep a pretty closed herd. I only buy from tested herds and we have only added 3 new goats from outside our herd in the last year so we try watch everything. Even then you can never be sure. :sigh:
We just test and hope for those great results. :leap:

·
Premium Member
10,547 Posts
That is wonderful news. Were you worried or was it just to be sure? Anyway that is wonderful news. :leap:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.