CAE

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by AlaskaBoers, Oct 31, 2008.

1. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    hey ,
    I had a lady buy a goat from me, an untested 4yr old boer doe, who had had troulbe kidding and keeping her kids helthy herself. she recently did cae testing and it came back positve - could this be a reason why her kids died?

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am not sure katrina.......It is usually lameness signs ...paralysis....swollen joints.......ect.

I have a question.............did your doe shows any signs??? she is 4 years old .......and if there were no signs at all.......that would kinda make me suspicious...???...I could be all wrong......??? Did you see the vet test results.....??? if not.............If I were you.....I would definitely want to see that......... if you have it in your herd................it is nice to know ............if it were a true fact................. :worried:
    you may want to test the rest of your herd or related animals to the 4 year old doe.........that is if the results are true?????

just a thought??? :shrug:

3. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    This doe, wasnt born on our place, and only lived here for 2 years. She never showed signs of lameness or any of cae symptoms.

4. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    sorry you are going through this.....Katrina. :cry:
    wow.... it is strange..........but for peace of mind.....test any offspring from her......or .......see the vet....paperwork.....to make sure......if it does show positive ....for sure.....then you will know to test others goats...... :shades:

5. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Was only one test done on this doe? through what laboratory?

6. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Like Toth says, I would want to see the paper work too!! Sorry my brain isnt working right now but isnt there either CAE or CL vacs that WILL come back false/positive and did this doe receive any that you know of??
    In the meantime dont freak...make a plan...if you need to have your goats tested for your own peace of mind then do so.
    I dont know very much about CAE but kids death are her responsiblity, I wouldnt think the two could be related but I could be wrong.
    Take your time on this to think it thru and keep doing your research, meantime dont let it intimidate you.
    Did she know you didnt test when she bought her? Did she buy animals from other places that dont test and unknowingly purchase a positive?

7. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Yes, find out what lab did the testing. The Elisa testing is the most accurate - I believe 94% accurate. The other testing out there is only 50% accurate, so please see which lab did the testing (most use the Elisa nowadays).

I'm not sure if it would have caused the kids death. One of my aunt's does who tested positive for CAE - her only symptom was a terribly swollen udder (looked like mastitis but was not). She never had the swollen knees, lameness, etc. She had a kid but I think he died (can't remember for sure) her udder was too swollen to really nurse him.

8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I found this info.............With CAE the udder..... is rock hard and little milk.......
    this is the site I found it on.....under (answers),,,

http://www.greenspun.com/bboard/q-and-a ... _id=0088YP

Katrina ....did that doe have a hard udder.......and did the kids look like they were filling there tummy's .....when you had her...........??

9. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    i'll talk with her and find out which lab.

the does udder wasnt hard, and the kids were all little pigs, although she delivered small twin doa's and the last set both died for different reasons. she really wasnt a great mother at all.

I am getting my whole herds blood tested anyway, and she was unrelated to all of them, so i'll see how things turn out.

10. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    I am going to paste what she sent me whn I emailed her the question;

"Hello,
    Just wondering which Laboratory you used for the test?"

(i'm blocking out the vets name)

She replied

"My vet ( the new doc at Ak Equine who is into goats, Dr.....) sent it in. You'd have to ask him who he uses but I think it's a university. You need to test all of yours, especially the buck."

:sigh: I'm tired of this already.

happy hallowween everyone!

11. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I'm sorry you have to go through this. That is sad. :( From what I have heard so far and read, CAE is only spreadable through milk and blood. I don't think it passes with breeding (correct, everyone, right??) - there is also no evidence of it passing through saliva/breathing. . . . so, it is fairly unlikely she passed it on. But a good idea to test anyways. For peace of mind and you can tell any buyers your goats are clear.

This lady knows for sure that the goat she bought from you was not born on your farm, right? This goat has probably had it from birth and it is not your fault at all, you didn't know. . . . hopefully she isn't blaming you or anything like that.

You need a :hug: - Hope it all works out okay!

12. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Katrina you should call her vet and ask what lab......also ask her for a copy of the test results...because I do not think the vet can release it to you...have her send you a copy through e-mail ......It seems odd to me that she would test "after" she bought her and not "before"..............how long has she had her?.....

It is good that you want to test your herd.....for peace of mind......is your buck out of that doe?
    If not ...........I can't imagine why she would say that......???

It doesn't sound like that doe....... had any symptoms at all as you describe it.....?
    kids can die for all kinds of reasons....you never know..........

I know it isn't easy ......hang in there and it is not your fault........and make sure she knows that doe was not born on your place...... :hug: :pray:

13. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    oh yeah ........a easy way to ask for CAE results is to say" I would like a copy for my records"

14. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    No the buck is from another doe, not from any of ours, i'll cal her and ask for a copy. :grouphug: thank you everyone!

15. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

that is very strange??? :?

16. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    why would that be strange? we bought him from a totally different herd. so he wasnt related to any of our does. maybe i worded it funny?

17. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I should of put this quote with it...........you mentioned she said "You need to test all of yours, especially the buck." ..........(I said that is very strange).......it is very strange she would say that ???.......seems odd..............sorry you took it wrong....... :oops:

18. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    "You need to test all of yours, especially the buck."
    i took that part the most offensive of the whole message. I thoguht it was very rude, since they arent related at all and cae cannot be transmitted through mating.

19. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    I am planning on sending this message to her,just to be safe; does anyone think this is offensive at all?

Hello again,

Do you think I could get a copy of the test results, for my records?

"need to test all of yours, especially the buck."

-why would you say that? CAE cannot be transmitted through mating, only red blood cell contact, like needles and tattooing supplies etc.

That doe you bought is unrelated to all of my animals and lived here a very short time. I had already planned for blood to be drawn in Nov. for my entire herd. If you'd like I can let you know the results when they arrive.

thank you.

Katrina