CAE

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by AlaskaBoers, Oct 31, 2008.

1. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

I feel it is a little offensive.............I wrote up one for you.... if you would prefer..... feel free to use it....if not that's perfectly OK to....

Hello Again,
    sorry to bother you,but I was wondering if I could get a copy of the test results,,so I can put it in my records files?
    You had mentioned "need to test all of yours, especially the buck."?
    Just wondered why you would say that?
    CAE cannot be transmitted through mating, only red blood cell contact, like needles and tattooing supplies etc.
    That doe you bought is unrelated to all of my animals and lived here a very short time. I had already planned for blood to be drawn in Nov. for my entire herd.....I never had any CAE problems in the past ...........If you'd like I can let you know the results when they arrive.

thank you.

Katrina

2. QotL

QotL New Member

May 27, 2008
    Maine
    Katrina-

I think you are well within your right to say this.

BUT- I would reword that message. First, don't ASK for a copy. TELL her you need a copy for your records, because that doe came from another herd before yours, and you keep things up to date. It's a minor distinction but believe me, will have a huge impact on whether you get one or not. Kids ask, adults do not. (and I want you to know I still struggle with this... even as an adult!)

And I understand you are angry, but think of this as a professional relationship. What you do with your goats (including testing the herd now) is none of her business at this point. If she was to buy another goat from you, of course she would deserve to know then. But she is taking a huge liberty here telling you what to do with YOUR goats. None of her business. Do your absolute best to leave your emotions out of it while you are writing to her. Hard, I know. But you need to seem cool, calm, and clearheaded. I wouldn't bother to educate this woman on CAE. I think it's wonderful that you want to, though. You could say, "my understanding is that my herd is not at risk due to CAE, but I appreciate your concern and will take it into consideration". Leave it at that. Again.. not her business.

:hug: What a crappy situation!

MEghan

3. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    hey thanks. Toth , thanks again i'll use that. Qotl- thank- good point.

4. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    kids ask....adults do not.....??? I am an adult and it is a polite way to phrase it........I never want to sound demanding when I am asking for something .............just being polite......in my book.....sorry we disagree... :cry:

you are very welcome Katrina good luck..sweety..... :) :pray:

5. QotL

QotL New Member

May 27, 2008
    Maine
    Toth boer-

I completely understand what you are saying. I'm an asker too! But it tends to set us up as doormats. When it comes to family/friends, I ask. When it comes to business relationships (including drs, etc etc) asking has never gotten me anything but a patronizing smile or the refusal to book an appt because I'm 'fine'. I'm not saying be mean or rude at all. And with this particular rude woman, she doesn't deserve to be asked.

That advice came to me, btw, came from both of MY parents. :) As I said earlier.. it's still hard for me. But when I slip up and ask.. then feel like I have to give some explanation.. well. I'm always reminded why I say what I need instead.

Absolutely no hard feelings :) It would be a boring world if we were all the same!

Meghan

6. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    nope.......no hard feelings at all....Meghan.........Katrina has read it all and she is her own person to decide for herself....as I had told her ........it is OK if she did use it .........or didn't use it......
    For me asking nicely ....always seems to do me right.... :shrug: ..I don't know......each individual is so different in the way they carry themselves...... I guess........Who am I to say .... :shrug: ....I'm just human................LOL :)

7. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I would make sure that you test everyone through WADDL. They are very nice there and are always happy to answer any questions you may have.

So that goat was only tested once? She should have been tested again to make sure that result was correct.

8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Katrina............have you heard anything yet?

9. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    :oops: woops. i have forgotten to send the message! i've been too busy to deal with this now-

i know now that she isnt blaming me for the cae , but is just dissapointed that her first goat has cae. she wasnt planning on becoming a breeder- just a few meat kids every year, and she isnt/hasnt shown any signs or symptoms. so its not a biggie now.....thank goodness. i'm just going to let it go.

10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Ok .....Katrina.... :) ...glad to hear everything is better for you......If she is only raising for meat ...then........ that worked out just fine....... :) :thumbup:

11. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    yeah , i thought she wanted to start a herd! glad it worked out okay too.

12. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    You really lucked out...... :)