CAE

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by sabine, Jul 16, 2009.

1. sabine

sabine New Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Is there any way to no if a goat has CAE other than testing. I bought a Saanen and the breeder that I got her from says she does not test for CAE. She is healthy and I have no reason to believe that she has it but I wanted to make sure because I want to use her milk if I have to for my Boer kids in the future.

2. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

The only way to know for sure is to her her tested. There are signs of CAE, usually swollen fluid filled knees and hocks. Cracking and popping knees (though all my goats crack and pop and none have CAE) It can also be from loose tendons over their knees.
    Chronic mastitis has been linked to CAE, and i can vouch for that one. My neighbor had a doe who freshened with mastitis every year, and she later was tested and found to have CAE.
    Some goats go their entire lives without showing any signs whatsoever.

beth

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I agree with beth, the only way to know for sure is to have her tested, and there are certain conditions/symptoms that CAE cause in a goat..the swollen knees being the number 1 thing, mastitis as Beth said seems to inflict a positive doe on a continuous basis. With kids born and contracting CAE from the dam, the symptoms are more nuerological.

If it is something that you want to do, you can draw blood from her yourself and send it in to WADDL or have your vet do it, though it will be pricey.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Ditto... to Beth and Liz.. :thumbup: ...that is totally right ...testing will tell the tale..... :wink: :greengrin:

5. sabine

sabine New Member

Jul 2, 2009
    I have heard though that yo can only get an accurate test in a doe that is 4 yrs and older? Is that true cause my doe is only 1 year old.

6. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Actually testing at 6 months or younger will give inaccurate results.....testing for goats 6 months and older is reccommended.

7. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

ttesting before six months of age for some reason gives a lot of innacturate results. testing by one year is reccomended. I test for CAE every year because i show. Some animals have been known to convert meaning they test negative or several years and when they hit closer to maturity (around four years) the test positive.
    beth