The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I convinced my l vet to draw blood and send in the paperwork for my goat to be tested for CAE. They are not goat vets by any means but tried to humor me. They got back to me and said that my goat's results were 3%. And that they would only worry about a retake if she was over 30-40%.

I was expecting a "she is positive" or "she is negative". What does 3% actually mean in this scenario? She was exposed? She is a carrier? :confused:

Thank you for your help!

·
I'm watching you
22,257 Posts
3% is negative. She was probably stressed about the blood draw which can cause that reading. She's very low, nothing to worry about at all.

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
3% is negative. She was probably stressed about the blood draw which can cause that reading. She's very low, nothing to worry about at all.
So stress will cause the number to read higher?

·
I'm watching you
22,257 Posts
Yes, that's what I was taught. Also high worm load, vaccinating right before, any kind of stress to the body can cause those low readings.

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
Yes, that's what I was taught. Also high worm load, vaccinating right before, any kind of stress to the body can cause those low readings.
Huh, good to know! Thanks! I'm so nervous as this is our first year testing.. They all came from clean herds but it's still stress full! Lol!

·
I'm watching you
22,257 Posts
Yes, they are testing for antibodies. The stress hormones an fool the test though. That's why the titers numbers are reported the way they are.
A positive goat usually has very high titers 40 and up.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Most of the labs I've done CAE through come back with a numerical result. They can be kinda all over the map below a certain number and still be negative. The first year I tested my first buck, he was like a 10. Two years later, a zero. As an example.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts