The Goat Spot Forum banner


974 Views 5 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  Goatzrule
It’s the new but not so new goat owner back with another question.. or maybe just advice. Okay so I have a kid, she’ll be 4 months on the 14th of may and recently she had been having some issues with her legs. We took her in to get culture tests and the vet said she may have CAE but we don’t get the results until the end of the week. However, I know that this particular virus is kinda like HIV and can be deadly, especially in goats 2-6 months. So if she does come back positive, the vet brought up euthanasia.. I don’t want to do that.. i mean I love my little bean! is that selfish to say? I know there’s a lot of opinions out there in regards to CAE and what to do in the case your goat has it. So if I could get some opinions, or ideas, or perspectives that’d be very helpful
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
I am very sorry to hear that. Unfortunately, if it truly is the encephalitis form of CAE virus, it can progress to seizures, paralysis, and is usually fatal. The best you can do is keep her comfortable, hydrated, and well fed. Attempting physical therapy to prevent loss of muscle definition could be beneficial.

Testing kids younger than 6 months may not give the most accurate results, so it may be best to retest in a couple months.

Definitely speak with your breeder and make them aware that they could potentially have a CAE positive doe spreading the disease.
  • Like
Reactions: 2
Other diseases can cause back leg problems, Polio, comes to mind. Maybe it might be
prudent to wait to put her down (if she isn't in pain) until she is at least 6 months old.
  • Like
Reactions: 4
I agree that there are a lot of different options. CAE could definitely the cause, it can come on young. If it comes back positive I would retest in another couple months
  • Like
Reactions: 1
I can tell it’s starting to bother her a little more than when I first caught it. She just limps around or lays down, I’m currently trying to see if I can get ahold of a good pain reliever to maybe ease some of the stress on the leg. BUT, I will definitely test again at 6 months if this one comes back positive. I mean she won’t pass away immediately right?! Plus I would just hate to see her in constant agony, yet I’m not in any way shape or form ready to let go, you know? Ugh this sucks :/ but thank y’all for the advice
If it is from CAE its really hard to tell. It hits kids hard. Most put them down early on. It would be somethin where you treat the symptoms
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.