The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Caesar came back negative for CAE. Mycoplasma could not be tested for because they needed snot or some other mucous to test for it. Still waiting on mineral analysis. Mom and I were doing some research this morning on herbal treatments for CAE, and it turns out that Tumeric is a treatment for CAE pos. goats and can stop and kill the live and active CAE antigens. We think that we may have started the treatment to late on Caesar though, the Tumeric may have possibly killed the CAE that he might have had, but nothing was going to reverse the damage done to his joints, especially since there isn't anything known right now that can regenerate cartilage.

Just thought everybody would like to hear that :) Still miss my baby, his house is so empty :(

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
Ok, Sarah. I have been gone a few days so I am a little confused. You have that Caesar came back Neg for CAE, but you said you might be to late to start the Herbal treatment.
I will have to look and see what I have missed.

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, just realized that didn't make sense :lol:

We had been giving Caesar turmeric for four months, but we feel that we had started treatment to late and his joint damage could not be reversed.

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
But if he came back Negative, why are you worried?

Why do you think he is positive? I have several goats that crack and make all this noise as they walk, but I was told i need increase the calcium for them. My vet was not at all worried. I have had my herd tested and all have always come back Neg.

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Caesar is my buck I just put down. His joints were swollen, calcified, and fused. He could not straighten his knees, he walked on his knees, and later on he could not bend his hocks. I have looked through the vet book and cannot find a disease that affects goats like what Caesar had, I think he had CAE, but the turmeric made him test negative. But otherwise, I guess I still have no answers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts