The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone had used Calamine Lotion on an itchy goat, and if it is ok to use. A google search brought up that it shouldn’t be used on dogs because zinc oxide is toxic to them.
My doe has a mysterious itch, mostly on her sides. We think it is some kind of bug bites. She had it last August too. Last year she bit and chewed a hole in her side that got infected. This year I caught it early and put a t-shirt on her. So she hasn’t created a sore, she just chewed the fur off. But it is agonizing to watch her scratch so much. And with the heat we are having, a shirt is probably making her hotter.
I tried Benadryl, antibiotic/steroid cream, Nustock, Tea Tree oil, and iodine/water mix. Nothing worked.
So I am wondering, since Calamine is MY go-to for itches, can I try it on her?

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would think it would be ok since there is a better chance a goat is deficient in zinc than plenty of zinc.
Thanks for the reply!
I think I’m going to try it today.
I want to wash her with mild soapy water, dry and then put Calamine on.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Let us know how it goes, as you said, I've used it plenty of times and it could be another option for my girls, if needed. Best of luck!
Thanks.
I made chamomile tea and letting it cool to use as the wash, instead of soap.
I don’t want to dry her skin out.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have not tried aloe vera. The Calamine seems to be working, at least for a while.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I thought about that too.
How many times did your goat have to get this shot?
She got it once on May 27th 2021. The vet said it lasted 4-8 weeks. She doesn't have the problem in fall/winter so I'm hoping she won't need it again before fall. Here is the thread: Skin issue

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
She got it once on May 27th 2021. The vet said it lasted 4-8 weeks. She doesn't have the problem in fall/winter so I'm hoping she won't need it again before fall. Here is the thread: Skin issue
I just re-read your entire thread.
I could very well be seasonal allegies for Willow too.
The t-shirt stops her from chewing herself raw, just the fur is chewed. Otherwise she would have sores like your May did, I bet.
I will see how it goes this week. If she is still super itchy next week, I think I will ask my vet for a cortisone shot for her.
Thanks @21goaties

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mine have been really itchy because the black flies and mosquitos have been bad this year and they have bug bites. I use horse fly spray and it stops the bugs and the itching
Do you milk your goats?
I have been using Dairy Boss pour-on on my goats to try and repel flies and mosquitoes. I can’t say it is working extremely well.
But I wasn’t sure about Fly Sprays, if I could use those on milking does.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
There is a product called Vet's Best Flea and Tick Spray, and I have been using it to treat mites. It is all natural, so you don't have to worry about it contaminating your milk supply. It seems to help keep flies at bay, and does really help with the itchiness. There is a spray and a shampoo. I haven't tried the shampoo yet. I don't know if you can get it in Canada, but I think it would be worth a try. It's working well for me.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
There is a product called Vet's Best Flea and Tick Spray, and I have been using it to treat mites. It is all natural, so you don't have to worry about it contaminating your milk supply. It seems to help keep flies at bay, and does really help with the itchiness. There is a spray and a shampoo. I haven't tried the shampoo yet. I don't know if you can get it in Canada, but I think it would be worth a try. It's working well for me.
Thanks @Caileigh Jane Smith . Unfortunately it looks like that is not available here. Just the hot spot sprays for dogs are available form Vet’s Best.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So, calamine lotion did not solve the itching problem.

Today I went to the vet. He gave me 4 shots of dexamethasone to give once a day for 4 days. He was dithering between a long lasting or short acting steroid. He decided on the short acting because Willow is in milk.
I am keeping my fingers crossed. I hope I can take the shirt off her tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 153 Posts