The Goat Spot Forum banner
101 - 120 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Aw, that’s too bad, I was so glad for you that your May was doing good this year. I hope another shot helps her out.
Yeah. She was fine while the shot was working and at least it didn't wear off quickly. If it is sweet itch there is no way for us to eliminate the gnats other than topical bug repellent. We are in south ga so it is basically a swamp here. The goats have hoop shelters and live in a huge pasture with woods.

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
Yeah. She was fine while the shot was working and at least it didn't wear off quickly. If it is sweet itch there is no way for us to eliminate the gnats other than topical bug repellent. We are in south ga so it is basically a swamp here. The goats have hoop shelters and live in a huge pasture with woods.
If giving her a couple steroid shots a year works, maybe you can keep it at a minimum that way. I really hope so for you.
It is hard not to feel doomed with this.
We are looking at every option to prevent this for Willow for the next summers. Our one advantage is our short summers. We usually have the first frost in September.
Here is hoping for May and Willow, that it won’t be getting worse.

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
The gnats live where there is even a tiny bit of moisture, usually under your water trough. To get rid of them completely you have to make sure that there's no damp spots anywhere.
They fly about 1/2 mile for food so, sometimes you just have to get the fly sheet made for miniature horses.
I made a prototype of a fly sheet yesterday, from a tablecloth. I put it over her shirt last night. It covers her hind end including the tail, and it has 4 bungees that go around her legs (not too tight). It is to keep gnats from biting her. I was pretty sure this was safe for her to wear in terms of getting hung up on anything. Needless to say, I still was glad to see she was ok in the morning, still wearing it. It looks like a lab coat halloween costume. All she needs is goggles and a laptop. 🥼 No picture, as it is an in-the barn- night gown. Too private! No just kidding, too dark for pictures.
Now she is in heat, and forgets to scratch!! Yay for heats!

·
Registered
6,240 Posts
Aw, she looks adorable in her dress! I’ve been thinking. Neem Oil is a great bug deterrent you can spray it around your pens and in the barn to help keep the bugs away along with lemongrass and citronella. Just spray the area not your girls. (Trees, shrubs and screens etc) it might help minimize the amount of biting bugs that come into their living area. Hopefully you get a hard frost soon to knock them down sooner too. Those poor babies! We’re dealing with armies of red and fire ants and not much is helping but Cedarcide for flying bugs and amdro for the ants. Normally cedar shavings in the barn works but not this year so I feel your dismay! Hang In there!

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
Aw, she looks adorable in her dress! I’ve been thinking. Neem Oil is a great bug deterrent you can spray it around your pens and in the barn to help keep the bugs away along with lemongrass and citronella. Just spray the area not your girls. (Trees, shrubs and screens etc) it might help minimize the amount of biting bugs that come into their living area. Hopefully you get a hard frost soon to knock them down sooner too. Those poor babies! We’re dealing with armies of red and fire ants and not much is helping but Cedarcide for flying bugs and amdro for the ants. Normally cedar shavings in the barn works but not this year so I feel your dismay! Hang In there!
Thank you. I hope you can keep the ants at bay. Do they bite the goats?

How awful, hope you can win the battle.
Thanks Pam. I hope so too.

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
The coat has worked and Willow got no new bites where the coat covers her at night.
Her latest bites are on her head and neck. At least those she can’t chew, only scratch with her hoof.
I rubbed more baby oil on her last night.
Aloe Vera gel has shown to give her relief on the bald spots. It doesn’t seem to work on new spots that still have fur.
I finally got her picture. Excuse the droppings. It was morning.

My next prototype coat will have her neck covered as well.

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
With horses they make face masks & neck coverings out of the fly screen. You might check and see if they have one for mini horses, that would fit her.
I had a look. They are $300 US, so more for us, and between her getting too hot in the summer in it, and/or wrecking it and/or doing something crazy because it is too weird, I didn’t investigate how small the mini horse one is (she is a medium size goat). They look great of course, but as I said, I don’t know if it would be safe for a goat.

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
I had asked Kristie at LOH for advice about a topical itch reliever. She suggested spraying her Guardian Extract on it and then sprinkling LOH Back on Tract on the wet area. I ordered the Guardian extract. In the meantime I tried spraying Vetericyn on her sores and then dusting with B.O.T. Maybe it will speed up healing.

·
Registered
31,515 Posts
What is the dosage you have there for Ivermectin only, for prevention?
Is it also 1cc per 55 lbs for 3 days?
Thanks Cathy!
1 cc per 40 pounds sub q...once a week for 3 weeks. Sorry to s long. Covid has me in the hospital

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
1 cc per 40 pounds sub q...once a week for 3 weeks. Sorry to s long. Covid has me in the hospital
Thanks Cathy.
I feel terrible for you. I somehow thought something was up. Sending healing prayers for speedy recovery! ❤ 💜

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
The sores on Willow’s side are looking a lot better. They are just bald spots now, and I am applying Nustock every 3 days or more often. She is still itchy on her head and neck.
The poor girl had a limp on her front leg too, which is getting better (no swelling, no fever, no signs of pain when moving her joints). I take them for a walk every day and I think it helps a lot.
She has not had a lucky last two months, but hopefully is on the upswing now.

Neighbours brought over branches yesterday.
First she wasn’t even going to check them out. She has been rather tired the last week. (Today she is looking better.)

But then she woke up and joined the party.

101 - 120 of 177 Posts