The Goat Spot Forum banner
141 - 160 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #142 ·
Willow dear Willow. Did your momma not teach you that its bad manners to scratch sand in your eyes? Poor girl. Good she is naked though. Even though I am sure she was the envy of all goat?
My dear Willow is such a good girl, but she won’t listen to me about not scratching!
She is so busy rubbing that poor eye, it makes me sick and I have to walk away.
She is the envy of all goats, but not because of the clothes! It’s the lunch bucket they all want! Baha!!

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #143 ·
Ok, so my vet emailed me. He found a vet clinic that has Fasinex (triclabendazole) in stock. Apparently, this is the best dewormer for liver flukes as it gets all stages including the larval stage. It is unfortunately only available on emergency drug release in Canada, but this one clinic does have enough to spare for 4 goats. If I want he can put in a prescription and could get it from them.

I asked him in return, if it makes more sense to send in either blood or stool to test for liver flukes 10 days after I gave Valbazen. Then, if she is positive, order the Fasinex.
Have not heard back from him yet.

Any opinions? Order this for Willow, or for the whole herd or test first? The tests are very expensive here, so I would probably only do Willow.

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 ·
With Willow being the only one who seems to have a problem, I would only do Willow.
Do you mean, only give her another dewormer, or only check her for liver flukes, or both?

·
Registered
The Monkhood
2,891 Posts
ELISA blood work is 99% accurate in detecting liver fluke, though it is expensive. Fecal testing depends on the life stage of the liver fluke (same for other worms) and liver fluke can be easily mistaken for barber pole because of the similarities in the eggs. Snails transmit liver fluke and correcting or avoiding environmental exposure if possible lessens infestation risks. Immune response seems to play an important role in keeping parasite tolerance in check also.

Willow has been ill, receiving antibiotics, recovering, and is more susceptible and vulnerable. And/or it could be her immune response is naturally more weak than the other goats. It's possible Willow needs the Fasinex to help in the recovery from liver flukes and the other goats would be okay with Valbazen alone.

Gosh Madhouse, this seems like one of those between a rock and a hard place situations. :(

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
As you know, I’m not a wise voice of experience so I don’t know what I’d do, but my guess is, I’d likely treat Willow and just Willow. I’d probably only do the pricey test if there are possible scary side effects from the medicine (and I have no clue if there are since I’m not familiar). The only way I wouldn’t treat, is if she seems like she’s fully recovering. And then, I’d likely pay for the test to make sure I’m right.

If the other ones start showing symptoms, you’ll likely recognize it much quicker, then you can treat them. They either may not have it or their system was able to handle it or they were less affected and the Valbazen knocked it out.

This is certainly a tough decision.

My two cents isn’t even worth that, so I’d say go with your gut, go with whatever gives you peace of mind and feels right.

Hopefully you’ll be able to talk to your vet again and figure out the best course from here. Willow is sure lucky to have you.

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #150 ·
This is what the vet said this a.m. I requested a dose for Willow.
If Willow has liver flukes, it is more likely to be the deer fluke Fasciola magna, which doesn't mature in domestic livestock and remains as a roving larval stage. Valbazan is less effective against this type of fluke compared to the fluke of domestic livestock Fasciola hepatica. The Fasinex that they have at Southeast Vet is only allowed into Canada on emergeny drug release and they have to account for every ml used so they usually bring in based on pre-order and don't always have extra. We could wait the 10 days, but I can't guarantee they will still have Fasinex available at that time.

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #152 ·
Two good things today with Willow.
She eats a LOT and started eating alfalfa pellets again.
And, the jumped on the ramp in her stall, which she hadn’t done since she hurt her leg.
Yay!
She is still very itchy and scratching her eyebrow and other spots on her head and neck.
We don’t think she has pinkeye, but still continuing to treat her eye for it twice a day.

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #156 ·
I don’t think this is the right time to dry her up. I had been milking as much as she normally gave, but she is making more milk right now. She was obviously very uncomfortable tonight. I had to tie her and milk her out. Poor thing. She wanted to run away. I feel awful. It is my first time drying up a doe.
She had been doing so well, I hope she is better in the morning.
I am going to postpone the drying up. It is too much all at once.

·
Registered
The Monkhood
2,891 Posts
Doesn't making more milk, or an increase in production, mean a doe is getting more healthy? I mean, that's a good thing possibly. Right? I know how to milk, read a crowd of post about does in milk, just never had a doe of my own. Bless her heart for becoming engorged, and bless your heart for feeling awful. She'll be better, more than likely, in the morning. Kind of seems like she isn't wanting to dry off either. 🌺🌼🌻💙

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #159 ·
Thank you @NigerianNewbie and @MellonFriend, for your kind words. ♥
She is indeed ok this morning.
I think my mistakes were
One: Trying to dry her off right after she was fed a high protein anemia diet.
Two: Trying to dry her off at the same time as being so stressed and dealing with all her other issues.
I thought it was in her health’s interest.

Anyway, she was happy to come into the milk room, ate heartily and showed no signs of discomfort this morning. 😅

@MellonFriend , I was doing it the slow way. I was still milking her twice a day, and left some milk in the udder every time.

141 - 160 of 177 Posts