Calcium question?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Tayet, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Tayet

Tayet Senior Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wisconsin, USA
    I read on TGS that giving a calcium supplement helps with a better and easier labor for does and I'm wondering what kind of tablet to give? I have a bottle of Calcium tablets from Sams Club. It says it's 600 mg with vitamin D3 plus minerals. Is it OK to give my does?

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

You probably could use it. Not sure on the dosage. If I use a calcium supplement, it has always been the liquid that is for animals. For the most part, I haven't had to use it though.

A proper diet with good goat loose mineral and even add kelp should take care of anything. I found just adding kelp to my feeding program seemed to take care of things for me.

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I feed alfalfa mixed hay to all my goats, pregnant does get a grain ration and all have the same loose mineral.... I have Calcium drench as well as paste on hand to give during labor should I see that they need it but I also give each of my pregnant does 2-3 TUMS a day during the last 2 months of pregnancy. I haven't had any issues yet.

4. GTAllen

GTAllen Goat Feeder

Jul 22, 2012
    Walters, Oklahoma
    I gave my ff doe, that just kidded on Monday, CMPK+D3 before she kidded and I am going to dose it some more now that she is in milk. It's cheap, easy, and none of my goats would eat calcium tablets except the buck would try to.

"Durvet CMPK D3 Drench is a liquid oral supplement designed to provide calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, propylene glycol, and Vitamin D3. Vitamin D3 assists in the absorption of calcium. 40% CMPK with D3 Oral Drench helps reduce the incidence of milk fever, displaced abomasums and retained placentas. Use at calving to stimulate appetite. CMPK D3 is also indicated for sheep and goats."