Calcium supplementation in pregnancy

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by NDinKY, Feb 29, 2020.

1. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    I’ve read about some people giving their goats Tums late in pregnancy. When do you know your goats need supplemented? We’ve never supplemented and never had issues. Right now my girls get an alfalfa mix hay, grass hay, and 1.5 scoops alfalfa pellets among 11 does/doelings.

My first is set to kid on March 23rd. Does anyone leave out a free choice calcium source? I have eggshells that I’ve cleaned and baked that I was going to use in the garden. But if free choice is an option I could grind them into powder and leave them out for the girls.

2. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

I start giving mine the calcium chews a month before kidding. Nothing on them says do it but from research giving more calcium in the last month before kidding helps to decrease risks during kidding. So i do it for more precaution.

GoofyGoat and Moers kiko boars like this.

3. groovyoldlady

groovyoldlady Goat Crazy!

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    Your does may not need extra calcium with the alfalfa you feed. I added in pellets this year so I wouldn't (hopefully) have to play the "Tums" game.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Some signs are:
    They may move slowly.
    Lay around a lot.
    Walk on egg shells.
    Have swollen ankles.
    Not eating.

Tums though, should not be relied on if they come down with preg toxemia.
    A calcium supplement should be on stand by.

Feeding alfalfa helps prevent it, but you have to make sure they are eating it.

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  5. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    I’ve got a bottle of CPMK just in case. Just didn’t know if calcium was one of those minerals to leave out loose and they’d take what they needed and leave it if they didn’t need. They definitely eat the alfalfa pellets and hay, so no worries there.

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California