The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 16 year old wether with no teeth that can only eat soaked cubes like Timothy/alfalfa. He's been ill lately and off his feed but there is a certain cube he seems to like and I don't know if it's safe for him regarding the calcium/phosphorus ratio. I'm horrible at math. My goal is for him not to get urinary stones. They are called Timothy Balanced Cubes made by
Triple Crown Naturals. They are for horses but he likes them and I have to get him to eat something.
Could someone please tell me if these would be safe for him? Here are the percentages:
Calcium (min.) 0.5 percent
Calcium (max.) 0.8 percent
Phosphorous (min.) 0.3 percent
They only have the minimum for phosphorous so how is one to know what the maximum is?
Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
58,529 Posts
At 16 years old and struggling to get him to eat, I would just feed it. You can always give him ammonium chloride once a week.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How much ammonium chloride should he have and how often. I have a powder to mix with water to drench.

·
I'm watching you
22,215 Posts
How big is he?

You might see if he likes Purina miniature horse and pony feed. It's low starch low sugar lower protein, everything that's good for an old guy. I fed it to all of my senior boys until the last one passed away. It is tiny soft pellets and easy to eat. It would add some more nutrients to the cubes he's already eating.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
At 16 years old and struggling to get him to eat, I would just feed it. You can always give him ammonium chloride once a week.
I have another problem. Though he's eating the Timothy Balanced cubes quite well now I'm worried about the selenium. It says one pound of these cubes contains a minimum of 0.2 ppm of selenium and a level of 0.3 ppm should not be exceeded. Don't know how much more than a pound of these cubes I can feed him without overdosing him on selenium. Since these cubes are all he's willing to eat I wonder if I can give him enough cubes and not overdose him on selenium.
Thank you.
PS I just got him some Red Cell to build up his blood since he's anemic and that has selenium in it too. Would it be too dangerous to give him both the cubes that have selenium and the Red Cell?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Red cell adds iron. If there is actually any selenium in it, it would be minimal.
It has 0.65mg per ounce. I would like to try the red cell to give him some b vitamins. What do you think?
Just to bring you up to date the vet did blood tests and organ function is good but white cells low. Last night I gave him a shot of antibiotics and today he's eating but still acting lethargic. I thought the Red Cell might help.

·
I'm watching you
22,215 Posts
The food cubes are measured in ppm. He could be eating 1 lb or 50 and he would still be getting the same parts per million from them.
Most of the time goats aren't getting anywhere near what they really need. My old boy was getting selenium shots every 30 days when he was in his teens.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The food cubes are measured in ppm. He could be eating 1 lb or 50 and he would still be getting the same parts per million from them.
Most of the time goats aren't getting anywhere near what they really need. My old boy was getting selenium shots every 30 days when he was in his teens.
Thank you for that explanation and pardon me for being so dense but it's not making sense to me. If one lb.of cubes had 2 ppm selenium then wouldn't 4 lbs.
of cubes have 4 ppm selenium? And the label says not to go over 3 ppm

·
I'm watching you
22,215 Posts
No, there is one part of selenium for every million parts of other ingredients. It doesn't matter how much of that food there is even at the mill when it was in a 10 ton lot there was one part for every million parts.

Say you buy 2% milk. Does the amount of fat it contains double if you drink two glasses?

·
I'm watching you
22,215 Posts
Oh, and all feeds are labeled with the selenium warning. It's federal law even though that level is way too low for ruminants.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No, there is one part of selenium for every million parts of other ingredients. It doesn't matter how much of that food there is even at the mill when it was in a 10 ton lot there was one part for every million parts.

Say you buy 2% milk. Does the amount of fat it contains double if you drink two glasses?
Oh ok. I guess I didn't quite understand
what ppm meant.
Thank you so much for clarifying.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
I would give the red cell, it sure wouldnt hurt, just out of curiosity how old is he? I dont have a senior yet but I do have a retired doe and my buck is the same age as her er about 5-6.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would give the red cell, it sure wouldnt hurt, just out of curiosity how old is he? I dont have a senior yet but I do have a retired doe and my buck is the same age as her er about 5-6.
My guy is 16 years old. I'm being cautiously optimistic as he now seems to have his appetite back. I think I will give him the red cell at some point. Thanks for your response.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
WOW 16, maybe try giving him a choice of clean water and some with a good chug of red cell, that worked with my just freshined mama, ( she loved the red cell water so much she would drink 5 gal of it a day :eek: and never touched the clean water)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
WOW 16, maybe try giving him a choice of clean water and some with a good chug of red cell, that worked with my just freshined mama, ( she loved the red cell water so much she would drink 5 gal of it a day :eek: and never touched the clean water)
That's a good idea! Thanks so much for that tip.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts