The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Colorful Quality Boers
6,648 Posts
I think it's great! Our kids grew at a great rate and looked awesome. Some of that was new genetics but I credit some of them looking great to the calf manna! Our kids got 1/2-1lb a day during show season. If I have a goat who I really think needs to gain weight I'd give about a pound a day.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome. I just bought a small 10lb bag for my two girls. We show on Oct 18&19. But maybe I already need to buy more! I've fed show bloom and decided not to get anymore bc it's so expensive!

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
I'm currently feeding my 2 mo wether, and almost 4 mo old doeling. I feed them 2 cups AM and 2 cups PM. I did mix the noble goat grower pellets in with it, but the bag was almost empty. At night they also get 1 cup of sweet feed and 1 cup of Alfalfa pellets mixed in... Bella, the almost 4 month old doeling was weaned @ 4 weeks... so I put her back on the bottle for awhile, and now she gets calf manna because she needs some good quality feed to help her grow... She's on the small side. I know that it is good for the animals that need to put on the extra pounds..:)

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
My older doe of the 2 (older by a week) is way smaller than the other. So this should help :)
Yes it should. I got a 2 year old doe in Feb. and she was a milker so I knew she was going to be thin... Well, I didn't think she was supposed to be as thin as she was so I wormed her good, and gave her calf manna and noble goat and she "fattened" right up. She's never been fat... But at least she looks healthy now:)

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awesome! I tried it tonight, they aren't too sure of it but it takes them a day or so to warm up to something new. How do you know if a doe is too fat?

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Awesome! I tried it tonight, they aren't too sure of it but it takes them a day or so to warm up to something new. How do you know if a doe is too fat?
Well, when I got her she was skin and bones:( You could actually see her rib cage... Now you can't see the rib cage, and she looks healthy, and she's full of energy. I've never had a fat goat, so I'm not sure how to tell if one is fat... But I think they are not as energetic as a healthy one.

Bella and Beebop were unsure too, but after there first helping of it they were hooked. I only got the 25lb bag so I'm hoping it will last a little while:)

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's awesome:) mine girl isn't boney but she's shorter and weighs less than the other. Like her growth was stunted

·
Colorful Quality Boers
6,648 Posts
A good way to tell if a goat is "over conditioned" (as I like to put it)... :) is to feel right behind the front leg on the goat's rib cage/elbow area. If you can't feel the ribs that is a healthy, well fed goat. If you have to push through an inch or two of "cover" before finding the ribs... that's a really fat goat! I've got a few of those... but we're working on it. :D

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
A good way to tell if a goat is "over conditioned" (as I like to put it)... :) is to feel right behind the front leg on the goat's rib cage/elbow area. If you can't feel the ribs that is a healthy, well fed goat. If you have to push through an inch or two of "cover" before finding the ribs... that's a really fat goat! I've got a few of those... but we're working on it. :D
I think your fatties look good ;) Ha ha.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I feed it to all my milkers even, I just mix it in with their grain so they're getting a little bit every day.

And if they have rolls at their point of elbow... they're a little too chubby ;)

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
If their tail webs are fat and squishy, they are fat.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Good to know... I'll have to check my clan:) Thanks!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts