The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen it mentioned many times, and am interested in using something like it in a mix for my girls to get away from the goat feed they have at our local feed store. They don't carry Manna products aside from something that i am pretty sure was a special order (I only saw one bag, and it was an Equine Senior product). Are there other feeds similar to it, like generics, for which I could keep an eye out?

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have seen it mentioned several times in regards to mixing your own feed/grain mix. All we have locally for a premade goat feed is Noble Goat, and I want to get away from it.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
I use Animax by Purina. Not a fan of Purina products, but if it's the only one I personally feed, that's ok.

·
Premier Colorado Nigerian Dwarf Breeder
1,092 Posts
try 2 parts barley, 2 parts rolled oats, and 1 part BOSS. Add alfalfa pellets to get to the protein % you want. This will require some math.

If you can get the mix cracked and/or ground at a mill - the animals will absorb more and you can get away with feeding less.

Next have a really good mineral on hand. This is where I spend my money. I have tried LOTS and LOTS of goat minerals. The one I have settled on is VitaFerm. Great stuff.

This is one option. You'll have to figure out what works for you within your budget. Sometimes you won't know till kidding season when issues come up.

HTH

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
I'm feeding 2 parts rolled oats, 2 parts barley, and one part Animax. I also topdress is with Sunflower oil. They get free choice alfalfa, though it is not only the best because the grower we buy it from is pretty inconsistent. We don't have acess to any minerals besides CHS Allstock or Purina. So far, the goats look pretty good... They haven't been on the grain long though.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is the protein the biggest consideration in the end? I've got loose minerals and baking soda on hand for the girls.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts