California banning LA200 and PenG :(

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by toth boer goats, Dec 2, 2017.

1. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    California is banning LA200 and PenG off store shelves, Jan 2018.
    It is really frustrating, how they further make it tough for the goat breeders and others.
    So if you live in California, stock up a bit before year end.

You will have to get it RX After Jan 2018. Heads up. :(

This is unnerving, today/tommorow mastitis treatment is on the ban list, what are we going to be able to use, if it comes up?
    Here is the list:
    https://www.cdfa.ca.gov/ahfss/AUS/docs/CA_MIAD_List.pdf

http://ucanr.edu/blogs/blogcore/postdetail.cfm?postnum=25663

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

That is a shame. Makes it hard if you have to call a vet for everything. Will put small breeders out of business but I'm guessing that is what they want.

3. lottsagoats1

lottsagoats1 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Middle Maine
    Can you maybe have friends from out of state send it to you? Or, if you are not too far from a border, drive over the line and stock up?

mariarose likes this.
  4. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    It is a devastating thing for sure, a bit scary, the what if's, what if my goat gets sick or has other issues, which I know how to treat but don't have product on hand? What if, the vets office isn't open. :(

I can't just go out and get the meds, when I need them, which may be too late for a goat in need.
    Or it is, I have to pay a lot of money for an after hours vet call just so they can tell me what I already know.

No, unfortunately do not live near any border and not sure if someone would help from across the border. :(

I am stocking up now, but they only will last so long and expiration dates are an issue, some things won't last forever. :(

Crystal likes this.
  5. IHEARTGOATS

IHEARTGOATS Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2016
    Zebulon, NC
    I understand the intended purpose keeping antibiotics out of the food chain which can lead to more antibiotic resistant bacteria
    However, as with most things the government does it will not accomplish what they want and will have unintended consequences
    Small producers like us are not the problem its the big producers and they can get the vet to write the prescription or like most big hog producers in NC have vets on staff

mariarose and toth boer goats like this.
  6. wifeof1

wifeof1 Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2016
    Boulevard, CA
    Yeah, but you can buy pot now. Guess CA wants stoners not farmers.

luvmyherd and Kath G. like this.
  7. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Yep Brown passed that almost 2 years ago and just now seems to really be hitting people. I am already stocked up and plan on taking a vacation to Nevada when things expire.
    I really can’t wait to see the consumers reaction in a few years when meat hikes up. As much as I really don’t trust vets here with my Goats it’s really not that hard to pack up a sick goat and throw in their SUV and take to the vet. A cow? Not so much and is almost cruel if you have to haul it to a vet.
    Heck the way things are going out here ALL food hikes up. It’s not just the meat part that he is going after, he has added so many things to produce as well and even is trying to force dairy farmers to make their cows wear back packs to catch the cow farts!

8. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    NC
  9. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    What California does, the rest of the country will follow. They do not want independent producing and thinking people.

luvmyherd likes this.
  10. mariarose

mariarose Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2014
    SouthCentralKY, USA
    I'm not sure about that last one, Kentucky will follow Texas in almost anything, but hates the very idea of following California.

I'm glad to help, guys, in any way I can.

Kath G. and CrazyDogLady like this.
  11. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    So ridiculous. I feel bad for the CA farmers and ranchers.

mariarose likes this.
  12. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yep, it is our California governor who did this, not the government. This state has become very strange with new laws and is hurting the small farmers.

I don't care for the pot law either. I guess they want to make people numb to reality.

Everything is out of control. But we cannot talk politics on TGS spot, rules you know. ;)

It isn't fair. :(

luvmyherd and mariarose like this.
  13. mariarose

Oct 23, 2014
    SouthCentralKY, USA
    I apologize if I was too political, I did not mean to be.

My offer to help with supply was sincere, because KY does not seem inclined in this direction. We don't have corporate farms to placate, so we might be safe for a while.

toth boer goats likes this.
  14. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Oh, no problem at all, you did nothing wrong. ;)

It is that I didn't want it to become political, so I thought I'd mention it, which it can soon enough start when it comes to California, I know others states heard about what is going on here. :(

mariarose likes this.
  15. Jessica84

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Well half of the stupid problem is with labels on meat that say things like “no antibiotics added”........NO ONE ADDS ANTIBIOTICS TO MEAT! They seriously think we put a needle in their roast and inject antibiotics lol, also chocolate milk comes from brown cows (eye roll). I do not buy anything with that stupid label on it or any other stupid thing like that. I probably won’t make a difference but I won’t support it.
    And actually big producers are not the issue. Thank about it. A person that runs 100-1,000 head of anything is not going to give antibiotics unless they totally need it. Giving a shot to everything that coughs once is not a way to make money but yet how many people that run a small amount and freak out over one that coughed and jump onto giving it a shot? That $1 a shot isn’t a lot for 1-2 or even 20 but when you have 100s that’s a bill that hurts. And I’m not just talking about people on here. Every summer here when things get dusty and usually Smokey too that is the most common thing I see or am asked about.

16. IHEARTGOATS

IHEARTGOATS Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2016
    Zebulon, NC
    Commercial hog farms give a shot of penicillin to every baby pig when they have tails docked, tusks cut and males castrated when they are about a week old this I know from experience

17. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Oh I know, it doesn't make sense. [​IMG]

Besides before butchering there are withdrawal dates on the drugs and a butcher cannot process them for meat until they are clear. But some may not say anything and have them processed?

18. mariarose

Oct 23, 2014
    SouthCentralKY, USA
    It is the antibiotics in the feed and supplements that is the largest problem, in my opinion. They have to keep the cattle, poultry, and swine alive long enough in those awful living conditions and being feed that awful "food" to reach slaughter weight and size. Yes, it is the large producers that are the problem, and the people who refuse to pay real food prices. And also allow the corporations to write the laws and exempt themselves.

Kentucky has huge poultry farms for Tyson. There is so much chicanery going on, and the farmers keep getting poorer and poorer and they just can't figure out what is going wrong. Well, Tyson has rigged the system so that all the profit goes to the company and the shareholders and all the expense and risk goes to the farmers. And premature death and disease is one of those risks and the poultry is fed antibiotics with a little bit of food attached.

The labeling issue is spot on though. It is called "greenwashing" and some other "...washing" labels. Comes from "whitewashing", specifically the meaning of covering up something ugly or rotten with something cheap and bright.

Eat, Drink, be Merry...

luvmyherd likes this.
  19. Jessica84

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    There is a withdrawal! And that’s why it gets my blood pressure sky high over this. I’m sure there are some people who, let’s say buy a goat and it gets sick they give it a shot and then decide to sell it not having a clue about withdrawal but that is the exception not the rule because no one wants to pay that fine! Not only that, my cattle ends up being butchered. I get more money for the ones that have never had a antibiotic shot before. There is no way I’m going to get less for a animal by giving it a shot of antibiotics for no reason. It averages out to $0.10 a pound more which doesn’t seem like a lot but it adds up fast and you do NOT lie about that. One person lied about his calfs being weaned and anything sporting his brand gets bottom price.
    I was pretty much in agreement with the antibiotics in the feed. I am pro antibiotic feed because it is so much better to treat a lot of cattle with feed instead of running them threw for shots every day but I fully understand why they did what they did.
    I have no clue about pigs I just know in cattle that is not the way to go. I don’t know one person that gives a shot to anything unless it is dog sick