call it curiosity

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Gumtree, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Gumtree

Gumtree Lurking Aussie

Aug 15, 2009
    S.E. Qld Australia
    hey I'm looking at different ways to get in a bit of extra cash...
    so i have question ?
    What sort of prophet is there in having a goat stud?
    Please don't worry that if I do have a stud, it WILL NOT BE FOR MONEY!!!!
    Because i love goats :love:
    because of that...i was just wondering what sort of income is in it

thankyou :)

2. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Well, this is just my personal experience, but:

I had a lovely colored buck named (what else?) Buckly. A friend of mine borrowed him to use on her does.

In return, I got back the most beautiful little doeling. I also bought another one that he produced from those does.

So that was my profit. :greengrin:

I'm lucky enough to live in fairly close proximity to two people who have lovely bucks, so I may not use my own this year (I sold Buckly) and will be able to use one of their bucks. With the same agreement reversed, pick of the "crop" so to speak.

I will get another buckling I imagine, and we will all have access to each other's bucks.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well you have to count up the cost of owning him first and then if there is a market/need in your area for that breed of buck.

I have two bucks and right now its costing me 15.00 a month per buck to feed and house since I have to board them with someone. With my 5 does that comes out to being 72.00 a breeding on them.

So to off set the cost I put them up as available for stud. I have one person with two does who want to use one of my bucks. My breeding fees are really cheep right now as my buck is unproven.

The best way for them at the very least to pay their way is to get the best buck you can. HIs genetics and his progeny will speak for him and he will be more in demand and you can ask more for the stud service.

4. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    There can be a profit, but it generally doesn't last in the long run. With all the feed that goes into him, you might have a little extra in stud service, but you'd likely break even. And there are usually breeding seasons, like right around October I get a lot of people asking about stud service, so this probably wouldn't be a year round thing. Most breeds of goats don't even breed year round.

5. Sybil

Sybil New Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Rainier, Oregon
    I used to lease out a bucks and have had does brought in for service. It is just not worth it around here for me. I have had the leased buck tied out in the rain or penned up in a barn by himself. The doe may or may not be in heat when they are brought in and I don't board. It is a pain to have to pull the buck out of the pen and take hime down the driveway for breeding. I have had a couple good people/breeders take excellent care and a few breeders that did not live up to my standards and knew what I expected before leasing the buck! I don't want the chance of bringing something in to the herd! ..............just my 2 cents.........
    Sue

6. GotmygoatMTJ

GotmygoatMTJ New Member

Last year(2008) our farm made a profit on the goats. Not much of a profit, but enough.

In 2008 we bought a pregnant Boer doe for $300 and she had quads. Unfortunatley only 3 made it and the one that died was the only doe. :tears: But we bottled fed one of the bucklings for a while and then sold him unregistered for $80 and still on a bottle. We sold another unregistered for I believe $100. But the real money maker in that deal was the other buck. Man was he nice! We sold him registered and as a 3 month old for $500.

Goats are a profit if you know whats going for good money right now and you have outlets in your area.

Boers breed year round but their strongest cycle is in fall-winter time.

We have an unregistered 50% Boer, 25% Kiko, 25% Nubian in with our does right now for early summer kids. Not sure how were going to sell them, but we couldn't be without kids! And these will be some Flashy kids thats for sure! :stars:

7. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    I am not experienced enough to really know for sure, I'll be honest here. But if you are planning on keeping a buck anyway, I can see that studding out would be an avenue of additional income. Especially if there are some somewhat serious goat keepers nearby. I would definatley want to see certification on the doe's health, no C.L. CAE etc. If the buck has good genetics, you could sell straws of his sperm, which is safer for you as a breeder, you might be able to offer that as a service instead of actual studding out. Again, not real experienced here yet, so I don't know if that is a viable economic option. I plan on doing this myself eventually.

Dayna

8. Gumtree

Gumtree Lurking Aussie

Aug 15, 2009
    S.E. Qld Australia
    well the thought that is in my mind is this,

you see (and I'm not pointing fingers ,I can understand why ppl do it)
    a lot of ppl keep there goats in sheds/stalls and care for them...pamper them :)
    so what happen is, when I buy those goats, because I live on a 150 acres farm, and I don't have any great goat setup
    they have to live in the paddock nearly 24.7, they cant handle it, they only get brought in when it turns wet wet wet :)
    and i know they can cope with this, because my previous goats did handle it quite well...and they were very poorly bred
    ..............................................................................................................
    So the thought in my mind (and I know of other ppl that are doing it)
    is to breed rugged tough goats,,that can handle the outdoors :)
    as registered goats, and then sell them as just kidded milkers :)

so that is my idea...have any of you heard of this sort of thing? do you think it would work?

9. GotmygoatMTJ

GotmygoatMTJ New Member

The goats that are stall kept are mainly for show. Now Im talking about boers here because that is what I am familiar with. These goats are FAT and have absolutely no build up of antibodies because they stay on medicine and goat growers(not steriods, a special, fat growing food) and usually do not get hay.

I have bought fat, nice looking does who were creep fed their whole lives. None of them lived. We have a better feed regiment then we did back then but they were so used to food ALL DAY that they lost so much weight and couldn't hold it and were on so many things you couldn't count them on your fingers. And when you stop giving them all that, well. no more goat. :tears:

Here are a few pictures of my does that are on my farm right now.

Gracie-the only Full South African doe on the place
    [​IMG]

Honey Dew- a fullblood
    [​IMG]

Moosie-a commercial boer who weighs 265lbs.
    [​IMG]

All of these goats are fed once a day.(and not alot either. Honey Dew and Moosie get 4 cups of grain) And are out on pasture and never put up. They get hay everyday.

We are breeding rugged tough goats. Gracie came from the same farm as the ones who died. She lived, so she is tough. But we also breed for the shows. Not this year though. :( This year were going unregistered with hardier bloodlines! :leap:

10. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    WOW! I can definately see the boer in my nubian/boer X now that you've shown off those pics. Big thick necks!

11. GotmygoatMTJ

GotmygoatMTJ New Member

Hehe thank you. I didnt breed these goats but I sure am proud to own them! :hug:

We went all the way to Arkansas to pick up Honey Dew, Moosie and 5 others. 3 were in the back of the trailer and my mom got out to pump gas and the people behind us told us our buck was trying to get one our does..... :? We told them we didnt have a buck in there, they were all does. And they got all big eyed and said whoah. Hehe.