Calling all Chicken Experts

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by Hailee's Herd, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Hailee's Herd

Hailee's Herd New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Michigan
  2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    hard to tell!

but in my opinion its a pullet, some hens are just mean. she doesnt seem to be growing a long comb or tailfeathers, you'll be able to tell when she begins to lay or starts crowing.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I have to agree with Katrina...looks like a hen...... :wink:

4. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    I'd say pullet. :thumbup:

5. Hailee's Herd

Hailee's Herd New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Michigan
    Ok thanks everyone!!!! You are all so helpful. I hope you are right. :)

6. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    I do still think it's a hen...Barred Rocks tend to be a feistier breed so it will probably be at the top of the pecking order.

I have a 7 week old Barred Rock rooster that I can take a picture of tomorrow for comparison...if I can find my camera, that is. :wink:

7. Hailee's Herd

Hailee's Herd New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Michigan
    Yeah this chick is very hyper and can't sit still for one second. :)

8. Hailee's Herd

Hailee's Herd New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Michigan
    Although right now my tiny Silkie chicken rules the roost. :)

9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    looks like a hen to me

10. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Here's a 7 week old Barred Rock rooster:

[​IMG]

11. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    yep..comparing the two i'd say hailee has a pullet :thumb:

12. shadycreekgoats

shadycreekgoats New Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    ditto what the others said, We have a few and I'm pretty sure it is a pullet. :greengrin:

13. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    Looks like a girl.

14. countryboy

countryboy New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Boy, comb goes pass his eyes. If you look from the top, the roosters comb goes pass the eyes. When they are young, the hens combs are not attached that far back.

15. Hailee's Herd

Hailee's Herd New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Michigan
    Thanks everyone! That is great!!! :)

16. lupinfarm

lupinfarm New Member

It's a rooster.

The comb is far too big at 4 weeks to be a pullet, it is far too red, and it's wattles are enormous for a month old. My EE chicks are almost 4 months old and their combs haven't even started going red yet and they have no wattles. Deffo a roo.

You should give Backyardchickens.com a try, they have a forum and deal with this kind of stuff everrrryyyday :)

17. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    My pullets use to act that way when young and my most aggressive hen is a Barred Rock.......look at the insides of the ankle area, down by the feet.......can you see any sign of nodules which as times passes will grow into Rooster claws. I had a chick last year end up being a Rooster but can not remember how old he was when we started to realize it.
    Sorry, hope this helps.....time will tell :wink:

18. kids-n-peeps

kids-n-peeps New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Virginia
    My husband is a self-described chicken expert!! Not so sure about that, but here's what he says . . .

Combs & wattles can be an indication, but there is so much variability between birds that it is not always accurate. The comb is pretty large for a one month old bird, but that's not really enough to go on.

What you need to do is pick up the bird and start looking at the saddle feathers. At the start of the chicken's back and moving down it some, gently pull aside the top feathers and look where the pins are starting to feather out. Usually a rooster's saddle feathers come out and have pointy tips whereas a hen's feathers tend to pop out of the pin in almost a fan shape. You can also look closely at the newest feathers on the tail. A rooster will start to develop sickle feathers which will be curvy and eventually longer, even possibly with a more colorful sheen beginning to develop on the black areas of a barred rock.

With that said, there is also variability as to when certain breeds will show these characteristics . . . some mature more slowly than others, so if you can't tell now looking at the newest emerging feathers, check them again in a week. You can also compare this bird's feathers to a similarly-aged bird you are sure is a hen. That might help you to differentiate.

I'm sure there is an online tool showing pics of what I was describing, but I hope this helps you figure it out. My husband has 100% accuracy looking at the feathers of a 4-6 week old, but beforehand he makes guesses based on comb & body size. Those early guesses are often wrong :)

19. countryboy

countryboy New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    tell us--- boy or girl

20. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    In my experience it looks like you got a roo sorry.Barred rock pullets are darker in color compared to the roos and they shouldn't have a red comb at 4 weeks old either.I have barred rocks now and have raised them for the past 5 years so that's my take on it anyhow.