The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
58,847 Posts
Make sure they are actual guard llamas. They should be over 3 years old and have proven that they guard. I really like having 2 llamas to protect a herd. They did a great job guarding my alpacas when I had them.

There was a sheep farm not far from us and they have 3 guard llamas to guard their herd of sheep. The owners love having them. It is always interesting to see how they position themselves so that they can see everything.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I've been checking out llamas too. I was talking with a llama rescue close to where I'm located and they've been explaining them to me, part of what ksalvagno said. Some are cut out for it, some aren't. A few months ago, I was ready to find a few llamas to put in with my alpacas, goats and sheep, but as I checked into it, its not as easy as finding one for free and putting it in with my animals. Do your research and find someone knowledgeable in your area to help you not only find the right llama but help you out once you take it home in case you run into problems. There's too many people out there wanting to get rid of their unwanted animals so bad that they would fib and say "SURE! My llama would make a great guardian and gets along well with all other animals!" when the truth is the total opposite. My perfect llama would be one that I can approach and handle, be a guardian and a pack animal. Packing with them would be a blast!

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
I was researching llamas once and I know there's several old threads on here about it, if you search. I don't have a lot to contribute; we didn't actually get one (yet) , but I'm hoping one day we will. :)

·
Premium Member
15,546 Posts
I have three guard llamas...well actually four now...we had a baby born last night. They are interesting animals and mine have made really good protectors. However, not all llamas are fit to be guardians. You have to do your research and find the right one(s) for the job. I recommend a male/female pair. They do take a little extra work, but I like that they eat the same stuff my goats do. However, they need shearing 1-2x a year and their hooves need to be trimmed as well. Just like a dog, each one is different, some will work...some won't...take your time finding the right llama(s).

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
I started a thread a couple months ago, and I decided not to get one because the electric fence is keeping the coyotes away.. So I figured I don't need one. Also I lock all my animals in at night, and my dog barks at the coyotes and that seems to also scare them away..

·
Super Moderator
58,847 Posts
A gelded male would be best. Never have an intact male.

I would want to know if they have already been guarding goats. You want to make sure they like the animal they are guarding.

·
Premium Member
15,546 Posts
I wouldn't say "never have an intact male"...I have one and he's no problem with the goats whatsoever. But a gelded male would probably be ideal. I like a mom and baby pair or a female and male.

·
Super Moderator
58,847 Posts
You can't. You won't know if it will be a guard or not. If you get a young one, then you take a chance if it will be a guard or not.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts