Calling all Soap Makers!

Discussion in 'Crafty Cabin' started by pennylullabelle, May 16, 2010.

1. pennylullabelle

pennylullabelle New Member

Okay - so here's the ideal. I've been making some soaps lately and having a blast. I have created some original scents such as Flowers of Flowers - a lavender based blend of 4 flowers. Caramel Espresso, "Don't forget to smile" and Lemon Mint Green Tea - among others. It's been SO much fun. And I'll admit - a batch or scent here and there did NOT go well!

But here is my dilemma...my coconut oil...does not smell like coconut. Rather...it smells like Beef!! Has anyone experienced this? Could it just be old. The label says 100% pure coconut oil. But...it wreaks! lol Help? :hair:

2. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    I don't know about coconut oil in particular, but all plant based oils will get rancid eventually, it might be old. Some spoil faster than others.

Jan

3. K-Ro

K-Ro New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Texas
    coconut oil doesn't smell like 'coconut' if that makes since. Mine has a slight 'smell' to it, but it's not coconut and not as heavy as the lard smell, so I guess it could have gone rancid. If you have doubts about using something in your soaps, then don't do it and go buy some more.

4. pennylullabelle

Okay I trashed the BEEFY coconut oil and have some new fresh stuff coming from a much more reputable supplier. I tried rebatching the two batches I made with the bad oil for a better scent but i'm still not satisfied. If I wouldn't use it I'm not selling it to someone else! Looks like my dog is going to be getting a lot of baths this year...and she will be smelling like beef...hehehe

5. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    ohio
    it might be old and got rancid. if you know it is new then you might want to mix a drop in some water. it may smell gross becuase it is concentrated. i'm totally guessing but my mmom used to have some of those problems making candles... hope i helped

6. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Hubby says let him know if you get any bacon scented soap. :wink:

7. pennylullabelle

:laugh: :ROFL: :slapfloor:

...The dog did take a full mold off the table and try to eat it...that's why I KNEW I wasn't imagining the beef scent!

The new is much better. There is almost no scent and it is definitely not beefy.

8. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    ohio
    maybe you could make a cheeseburger scented one with the old one?! lol! ;D ha ha ha.....

9. pennylullabelle

Aw that would be awesome! Anise scented for fishermen to attract fish. The cheeseburger scented for...um...bear researchers? hahaha

10. Realfoodmama

Realfoodmama New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Santa Fe, NM
    My experience with coconut oils has been that you HAVE to buy the good stuff (read: expensive)

I bought a cheap coconut oil from an internaltional food grocery and it smelled like motor oil. I have also bought coconut oils that say food grade and are completely inedible.

Basically at this point the only brand I use is Nutiva - but I use it in cooking rather than soap making so I'm way more picky than I would be if I were just trying to included it for scent ;)