The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 6 kids, all almost weaned, doing great, had the cocci prevention and worming, fine yesterday now sick and wobbly and dying today. I also have a one month a two week old calves born here, were doing great, bought two calves from a friend who raises beef cows last week now they are also sick and dying along with my two born here. Ideas? No vets can get here until late this afternoon.

·
Premium Member
4,752 Posts
I have 6 kids, all almost weaned, doing great, had the cocci prevention and worming, fine yesterday now sick and wobbly and dying today. I also have a one month a two week old calves born here, were doing great, bought two calves from a friend who raises beef cows last week now they are also sick and dying along with my two born here. Ideas? No vets can get here until late this afternoon.
I would guess there have found something poisonous and are eating it. Or if it started after those calves came they brought something with them.

·
Registered
11,230 Posts
Oh my gosh I'm so sorry. Are all four calves and all the goat kids living in the same areas or two separate places? Do you suspect the two new calves brought something?

Sounds like it is fast acting whatever it is. Does the wobbling seem neurological or just weak?

I'd check the rectal temp, FAMACHA score, and give B-Complex to every goat kid.

Have you opened any new feed bags that they are all getting this week?

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No new feeds, honestly I do suspect the new calves, we "thought" they were fine after the first few days so we put them out side with the others and needless to say we were wrong. They have poor balance and it does seems neurological. I'm just sick...

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They have a bedded shelter and outdoor run with water and hay. They are wobbly when they get up and lose their balance and flop over, heads are weaving a little, eyes still bright not twitching, the calf that died his muscles were shaking, no one was dehydrated, though they may be getting that way. We got two calves to drink some electrolytes, not offering milk until the vet gets here. We gave them probios and MU Se.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Would that hit everyone at once? I gave the selinium gel, only the ones in this pen are sick, I have two kids in a different pen and they are fine "still". This happened overnight, from bouncing happy healthy kids to sick and dying this morning.

·
Registered
31,518 Posts
Ugh. Worse nightmare ever! Check your hay for toxic weeds or dead animal baled up in it. Anyone survive? I would treat for toxins. Activated charcoal..Cd antitoxin and B complex.

·
Premium Member
Raising Quality Show & Commercial Goats
5,746 Posts
Oh man. That is horrific. So many diseases go through your mind. Where do you start. The vet should be able to answer once he gets started on them hope he can give you a solid answer. Good luck! Sending prayers!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts