Came home empty handed...

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Dreamchaser, Apr 18, 2009.

1. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Well, I came, I saw, I left empty handed. I'm a bit sad. I liked him, but he just didn't do it for me. His dam, was very young, it was her first freshening. She was small, and even though I know she will grow, I just didn't think I could get a good idea of his future size.

She told me that Alpines are small, and that my ginormous Alpine is probably a mix. Possible I guess, but I don't know what she could be mixed with. I am looking for a buckling that is going to be very big, and with the alpine's frame. Saneens are an option, but I want color. Yes, I'm picky, I know.

She had a gorgeous oberhasli wether, who was very big, the size I wanted. But, he was a wether, so I can't breed him, and she wanted $100 for him. I probably could have bargained with her, but I just did not feel up to it. I did want him very much though.

He was supposed to be chamoisee, but he didn't look like it to me. He looked white with black tips and a black stripe. Maybe that is a different type of chamiosee? He was gorgeous, and probably a very good deal. All of her goats were in good health and beautiful, lots of spotted ones, some moon spotted, a few different breeds to choose from.

I don't know. I'm a little pooped out looking for a buckling. I guess it will come when it's time. I really want to cry though.

She told me that maybe Alpines aren't the breed for me since they have bred them down in size. Maybe that is so. I want something large I can breed for packing and cart pulling. I have small acreage, so I can only have so many, so I don't want to have a billion different breeds to meet all my needs. As it is, when my sheep pass away, I'm not going to have any more of them. I wethered my ram so I wouldn't have any more. When they go, then I will have more room for goats.

So, I'm feeling a little blue now. A little defeted. But that is okay.

What large breed goats might be good for me? I really like Alpines, but maybe an oberhasli like she had?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I am a little surprised she said that alpines were small. All the alpines I have ever seen are rather large -- much bigger then my oberhaslis ever were - I bred oberhaslis for 10 years. I dont think she was right on that.

Yes the buckling sounds chamoise -- chamoisee is a very broad term

I know you are disapointed -- but going with your gut is always best. You wont regret it later.

I would look for breeders and see if you can get a different view on the alpine breed -- I think you will find that they are rather large animals

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I am sorry that things didn't work out but to be honest - it will come around for you!

I am not sure where you are at - but the alpines (including mine) around here have not been bred down at all - makes me wonder if they are slow growers or cocci when younger :shrug:

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    The Alpines around here are massive! My mom had a wether that was HUGE, so I don't think they are being bred down in size at all.

5. Haviris

Haviris Member

Oct 7, 2007
    I agree w/ the others, hers may have been small, but alpines are not generally small, and I'm pretty sure oberhaslis are smaller!

Good luck on your search!

6. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    I don't know where she got that Alpines are smaller. Alpines, along with Saanens and Nubians, are the largest dairy breeds. Most of the Alpine girls I see are huge!

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    sounds like she wanted to sell a goat that was stunted.....and felt she had to fib... a little ...to get him sold.......hold on to your gut feeling....you are so right in turning him down.....Keep shopping around... and you will find a good buck and be more happy about your decision....... :wink:

8. tremayne

tremayne New Member

Feb 7, 2008
    From what I've read, some people like to use Obers for cart work and packing because they tend to be gentle agreeable animals and not as frightened around water as other breeds. I can't vouch for that from personal experience, though.

We do have an Ober buckling born in January, still intact. He's got a good backgorund with champions on both sides. His dam is on the smallish side, but his sire is pretty large.

We're in California, so not all that far from Arizona. Let me know if you're interested in seeing pics of him or reading up on his pedigree.

Anna

9. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I know that sometimes French alpines can be smaller, but on a whole Alpines are very large. Check on this first doe and her daughters listed on the Redwood Hills Farm saleslist: http://www.redwoodhill.com/brochures/20 ... ne_pdf.pdf

Obes tend to be medium, the minimum height standard for does is only 28" Purebred Oberhaslis are supposed to be smaller. I breed very large American Oberhaslis though, I prefer bigger goats.

10. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    That is a bummer! But at least you have the self control to not buy even though you it was not what you wanted. I know from experience that is really difficult. Keep looking, Some day your buck with come.

11. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Alpines are definitely not small...I used to raise them and they were quite a bit larger than my LaManchas. The Alpine wether I have now is the largest goat I've ever seen. He's a great cart goat and very people oriented...and smart!

Try not to get discouraged. It's best to hold off until you've really found what you're looking for. :)

12. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Thanks everyone. And Thank you Goathappy for that link. WOW those are some beautiful Alpines, and some of those does are HUGE! I think I will have to get in touch with them in the future. I have decided to put off the search for right now. I don't really even have a seperate pen for a buck, so I think I am going to buy some hog panels to divide the pasture in half. If I had gotten that buckling, I would have made something work for the time being, but now that gives me more time.

13. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    hmmm ... I think the lady knew her goats were not big enough, she thought you were a newbie that knew nothing, and she could pull a fast one on you ... Alpines are NOT AT ALL SMALL! :greengrin: They are one of the largest goat breeds available!

I agree, dont let her discourage you, and dont settle for something you only sort of maybe kinda want. I've done it before and regretted it.