Camera advice... What to buy???

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by eliya, Jan 18, 2010.

1. eliya

eliya New Member

I sure wish I had more time to hang out on these forums! Everytime I get a chance to come on here, I just want to read and read and read...

Anyway, today I am asking for input and advice. My camera has died. I need a new camera (BEFORE kidding season starts the end of March!) and I don't know what to get. Can you all share what cameras you have liked or disliked? Here is kind of what I am looking for:

Under $500

Takes pictures in quick succession (no waiting forever after taking a picture to take the next one)

Takes pictures as soon as you click (none of this click.... a n d t h e n t h e c a m e r a f i n a l l y t a k e s t h e p i c t u r e... well after the goat has moved...)

Has long battery life (doesn't go through 8 AA batteries to get one set of pictures.)

Fairy small. Doesn't need to be one of those TINY ones, but not a bulky large one either.

Easy to use. I don't want to have to fiddle with a lot of buttons and knobs to take a picture.

:ponder: So... Anyone know of a camera that meets all or most of these qualifications???

2. Idahodreamer

Idahodreamer Senior Member

I've got a Sony. It's a got 12.1 megapixels and takes the best pictures i've ever seen for a digital camera. But persoanlly, for me the brand is everything...try looking at reviews on walmart and sears of different brands. I had a bad experience with an Olympia . . .it didn't have sound for video which was a big thing for me because I mostly do video with my camera. . .

Takes quick pics too.

3. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Im no camera buff but we have a Lumix 6.0 PanasonicDMC-FX3. Whatever that means! :scratch: Battery hardly ever needs re-charging. It takes terrific pics & fairly easy to use but I havent read the manual. It has several settings which are easy for most ppl,
    like no red-eye. Takes good action shots too. Under 300 at Costco.

4. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

I have a Nikon Coolpix Touchscreen camera, works really good for me! It zooms in for those up close baby pics and has a good video recorder with sound, up to 25 minutes, comes with 2 batteries and a charger. One battery lasts a week for me but I take like a 100 pics a day. It also stores ALOT!!
    Probably my Favorite camera

5. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    I've got a Canon Powershot S5 IS. You can probably buy them new for around $4-500 now. The macro is excellent. There's plenty of features for newbs or pros alike. It accepts other lenses in the event you want something further down the line and also has a hotshoe for external flashes. I'd recommend one to anyone. :) I don't have to change batteries frequently either. If you buy Energizer chargeables and keep them ready, it's even easier. :)
    http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-S ... B000Q3043Y

6. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Here is a website with reviews of all the digital cameras that are recently produced. http://www.steves-digicams.com/. It's a little overwhelming, but you may want to look up things that look interesting to you before you make a decision. My favorite website about digital cameras is http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/recommended-cameras.htm. He also recommends some point and shoot cameras. I think if that is what you want you can get a good one for considerably less than $500.

If you want a fast camera you need a digital SLR rather than a point and shoot. An SLR is going to be faster no matter what kind of camera you get. I have a Nikon D-40, just got it, that is in addition to the Nikon D-70 I have had for years. The D-40 is smaller and a lot cheaper than a lot of the SLRs, but all the point and shoot cameras are smaller. You can get it for under $500 with an 18-55mm lens, the battery, charger and often a 4 gig memory card. The battery charge lasts such a long time that you don't really need to have a backup battery. You would eventually probably want the 55-200 mm lens as well (around $200), but don't need it right away. This is the kind of camera that will do whatever you need for a long time, and you can get additional equipment for it, as opposed to wishing you had a different camera. It will not take video.

Whatever you get, if you are spending that kind of money you should get a UV filter for the lens, it protects it, so if something gets damaged it's the filter and not the lens. I would not get a camera that won't allow you to put a filter on the lens. I don't know if there are any point and shoots like that anymore, but probably.

I got a point and shoot with a huge zoom a couple years ago, and it takes great pictures, and is much faster than they used to be, but it is still not fast enough to take great shots of kids (I have a friend who described trying to photograph kids as being like trying to take pictures of fleas)

Jan

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    anythign you buy check to see if it has a kids and pets function. Thats what I use for all my goat pictures.

what it is does is it does quick focusing and even when the shutter button is pressed slightly it will continue to focus so that you dont get blurry pictures if the kid or animal moves

Nikon makes crappy point and shoot cameras -- from experience and friend's experiences, great high end cameras though.

Cannon makes better point and shoot. Their line of PowerShot cameras are good. oh and the powershot take the lithium batteries which hold a charge for quite a while.

Not heard much bad about Kodak but I have no personal experience.

8. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Oh Kodak takes wonderfully crisp photos.... just don't expect the company to replace any parts on it if it breaks @@ lol

9. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    I also have a Kodak. I LOVE this camera. It does eat regular AAs, but if you buy the charger and the rechargable battery, besides being able to recharge the battery, the actual battery power lasts a long time.

10. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    lol i always just use my mom's little canon, or the slightly bigger canon.

my personal cameras are ancient.. one is a canon from 27 years ago. took my parents wedding pitures, my uncle gave it to me for my 21. works awesome.. but obviously a film camera..

i also have a Argus 75 from like.. the stoneage.. lol no zoom and i have to look thru the top.

11. Gumtree

Gumtree Lurking Aussie

Aug 15, 2009
    S.E. Qld Australia
    canon ...
    I've had mine since 07, no trouble with it, takes great photos....i love it
    and use rechargeable battery's...the other ones go flat to quick :ponder:

12. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    The canons rock...Can't remember the name of the one I am getting but it has 10x zoom and works awesome!