Can’t bring myself to vaccinate them myself!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Erin80, Nov 29, 2020.

1. Erin80

Erin80 Member

Jul 11, 2020
    Ontario
    It’s time for my goat kids tasvax booster, so my husband and I went out to vaccinate them today. He held the first one, but I couldn’t bring myself to do the poking....so we switched.....and then he couldn’t do it either! Sooooo, I’m calling the farm vet to come out tomorrow to do it for us. I feel pathetic. Lol.

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

That is fine. Have the vet work with you. He can show you how to give shots.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    It is stressful at first been there done that.

My husband knew how and was giving the goats the shots for a long time for me.
    One day he said, you should learn this yourself in case.
    So with nervousness I tried it. I gave the shot to the ground as it went all the way through the skin, darn it. Felt stupid.

My husband said that is OK, load up on the shot again with a new needle and syringe.
    Ok, so here we go again.

Husband said, tent the skin, insert the needle.
    wait for the goat to stop jumping around.
    Now, feel for the tip gently through the skin to see where it is. Make sure it is in far enough, not too shallow or all the way through the skin.
    Pull back on the syringe to check for blood and to see if you have a pressure feel to it or it sucks up too easy.
    If it sucks too easy, you are all the way through the skin and will have to find another spot.
    Otherwise, inject it semi slowly as possible.
    If the goat jumps around, stop, wait, then proceed. Then do it as quickly as you can.
    YAY, I did it!

When injecting the needle the goat will jump around, steady the needle if you can while the goat moves or sometimes you have to release it and will still be stuck in there.
    When the goat settles down that is when you do all the things above.

Do know, from time to time even us pros can mess up a shot.
    I forgot to tighten down the needle so I wore the shot from pressure, as it sprayed all over the place instead of going into where it was supposed to be, LOL.
    I have also given myself a needle stab, dropped the whole syringe/needle on the ground.
    So had to throw it all out and have to make up another shot.

If it makes it easier, you can start by injecting the needle only, then firmly attach the syringe with the meds etc in it to the needle.

You can have someone experienced who knows how to direct you, it sure helped having my husband walk me through it.

With time, you can do this.

Goats never like shots, so it is easy to mess up a shot without their help. ;)

4. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Sorry for the book oh dear.

Moers kiko boars and MadHouse like this.
  5. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for that book!
    It is good to see I am not the only one like this:
    :imok:

6. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  7. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Paying a few veterinary invoices can also help eradicate the fear as well! :haha:

8. fivemoremiles

fivemoremiles Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    western montana
    giving shots is often the difference between life and death of your goat.
    remember it is just a poke. you are not dehorning a kid. or worse yet castrating baby pigs.
    So put on your big boy panties and DO IT.

TCOLVIN and Moers kiko boars like this.
  9. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    We All Start Somewhere. Mine was with horses& cattle....believe me...Ill do a goat shot anyday over the others. Lol.
    Yes Toth..Ive sprayed my boots a couple of times...lol.what I love is when you go down with the needle & they jump back...thats fun.
    Just take a deep breath and stick. After a few times..you will get over that fear. And like Salty said...that bill will.help alot.! Hang in there...keep trying. Youll be helping someone else get over this fear.before long.:7up:

10. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    The first couple of shots are the hardest - for the owners not the goats! Do think with your head - knowing how to give a shot could potentially save my goat! - Especially when a vet is not available. Goats throw a lot at us - this may be the easiest thing you run across if you keep goats for a number of years. Always keep the end result in mind - you CAN do it!

11. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

I was a bit afraid to give injections at first, but just realize that if you are following all steps like Toth described you aren't going to kill them. ;)

12. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I used to be terrified of needles. If there were needles ina drawer I wouldn't even open it. When we started goats my daughter gave shots. When she married and moved away...it was up to me...ugh...shaking hands. Nauseous tummy. But when the need arised..I did what I had to. A few years later I learned to I pull blood. Both giving shots and pulling blood is a necessary skill we all need to learn or pay the cost of a vet to come out for every little need which will quickly add up. It never hurts to have the vet out once to teach you...make sure to do a few yourself while the vet is there..you will see how easy it really is.
    Best wishes

13. Gooseberry Creek

Gooseberry Creek Active Member

Jun 3, 2020
    Florida
    It will get easier. I have my dh hold them and I give the shots. I am an RN so injections are no biggie. I have had to stitch up a few of my chickens over the years and that was worse imo. They are like goats in that, they do not do well with anesthesia.
    I recently had to suture a hen with 6 stitches because an over amorous rooster practically scalped her. The drama never seems to end on a farm lol.

14. AndersonRanch

AndersonRanch Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2020
    California
    If you have a vet to show you how to give shots so you feel more comfortable there is nothing wrong with that. Most of us had someone take us by the hands and show us how no matter if we were kids at the time and have been doing it for years or recently as adults. I remember my first time I was with My dad and we came across a sick calf. It was just him and very young me. He roped It and held it and told me to give the shot. I was like uhhhhhh are you sure I can’t hold the calf lol but I was fortunate enough that I had seen my parents give hundreds of shots before so I knew the idea behind it, I of course was just worried I would some how botch it. But this isn’t sick dying animals, these are healthy animals needing a vaccine so just make sure your vet walks you threw it so IF it is a sick animal one day you will totally have it! Need be to buy some vitamin B complex and practice with that.

15. MadHouse

That’s what I practiced with!

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  16. MadHouse

I also use the distraction method and hide some grain in a bucket of hay. They don’t move around so much then.

17. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Practice with an old syringe and needle and give oranges shots. The texture is similar to the skin thickness of a goat hide. Stick, pull the plunger back a bit to check for blood (usually don't want to go into a vein) and slowly but steadily inject the orange! Practice and soon the act of injecting won't feel so foreign.
    It always helps to have a person to hold the goat still. Don't think about it being an animal, only look at the area you are injecting. Soon you will be an old pro!

18. camooweal

camooweal Active Member

Jun 27, 2015
    <<<I have also given myself a needle stab>>>

I did that once also only I was vaccinating a mob of sheep. This particular wether moved at the wrong time and I vaccinated myself !!

camooweal

19. YouGoatMe

YouGoatMe Well-Known Member

May 31, 2020
    Texas
    When I started out a year ago I dreaded the shots....told myself it's ok, it's only once a year. Now I've had two goats with pneumonia and having to give them each shots for 5 days, not to mention vitamin shots, one had to have a saline drip. I still get nervous but I just try to stay calm, have my husband help with the holding of the goat, and just get it done. Goats love to be dramatic and sometimes scream like they are being murdered. I also remind myself that I'd rather give them a shot than mourn their death to something I could have prevented.
    I did have our vet do them in front of me at first and talk me through the process. That helped me feel a little more comfortable.

Moers kiko boars, HMNS and MadHouse like this.
  20. HMNS

HMNS Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2019
    Brown County, Ohio
    Ha-Ha...I have to laugh at what @YouGoatMe said about the goats being dramatic!!

I have given shots to dogs and horses for years...THAT did not prepare me for goats.

When I first gave our goats a shot, you would think they were being tortured because they yelled and jumped around. The yelling is what got me (at first) because I started 2nd guessing myself, thinking I may have hurt them by poking them incorrectly or in the wrong spot, etc. They can be so vocal!!

Long story short...I usually have my husband put them (Nigerian Dwarfs) in a 'headlock' between his legs...against a wall or fence so they can't dance sideways and then "git 'er done'. :)

I still am not 100% comfortable giving shots to the babies tho'...they are so small and their skin is 'tighter' than the adults...then they SCREAM like you are killing them slowly....waaahhhhhh (so far, no goat has died or been hurt from getting a shot...LOL)

After your first few times, you will know what to expect and be ready for it. It really isn't as bad as the goats say it is and it sure beats what the vet is going to charge (ouch). The goat will 'cry' whether you give the shot or the vet does but, YOU will cry when you get the vet bill for sure.

You can do it!!!! :)