Can’t bring myself to vaccinate them myself!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Erin80, Nov 29, 2020.

1. AndersonRanch

AndersonRanch Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2020
    California
    So dramatic! A cow won’t even utter a sound a goat as soon as that needle touches the skin they are dying just ask them.
    I have stabbed my self so many time! I can’t even count. Earlier this year I got myself in the lip. I have a bad habit of holding the syringes in my mouth by the lids when I vaccinate the cattle (which get 3 shots 4 if they need to be worked) so that I have my hands free. Gave the shot, put the cap on, not tight, and went to hold it in my mouth. Cap fell off and got myself good. Now that one HURT! But hey I didn’t get pink eye lol

2. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    I won't get worms, pneumonia, cdt, or polio! I've finally quit putting the needle cap in my mouth after sticks in my lip or fingers!

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I have had goats scream before I jab them.
    I laugh and ask why are you screaming? Drama queens. :bonk:

4. Erin80

Erin80 Member

Jul 11, 2020
    Ontario
    Just a quick update! We ended up doing it and it was fine! All three are done. We watched a really good YouTube video on it, and last time the vet was out he showed me how to tent the skin. First time was definitely the hardest! Thanks everyone for the great responses!!!

5. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
  6. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  7. artzkat

artzkat Member

Oct 22, 2007
    West Virginia
    OKAY..easy peasy..here is what I did to learn..went to grocery and bought a whole chicken...then brought it home..put it on the kitchen counter and filled a bunch of syringes (used different gauge needles and found that 22g was easiest for me and goat) with water and practiced away..lifted (tented the skin) and injected..since I knew I wasn't hurting anything I was very brave and learned quickly. Also practiced IM shots on a pork chop... Lots of online instructions to work with as well....Be calm, deep breath and say "I can do this"

Kass, MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.
  8. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    Done that before, I find when by myself I just slip a rope over their head (I have 2 knot in the rope that won’t let it choke them) and tie close to post and have straddle them so they can’t move side to side. Then just make my tent and insert needle ( I like 3/4 or 1/2 inch in length) and draw back for blood slightly them give shot. Some do jump a lot so I also use a dentist technique by pinching a little tent up and jiggling it around while talking to them and insert and whamo, I’m done. What I don’t like is giving any medicine that is 5 or 6 ml. It’s just a lot for the little tent.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2020
    Moers kiko boars and MadHouse like this.
  9. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    Practice is definitely key! Also, it’s good to know which meds sting so you’re mentally prepared for their reaction (ivermectin will bring out the drama queens).

Remember to make sure your needle gauge matches the drug. Had my vet dispense an antibiotic with a 16 gauge needle. I felt bad for the goat and swapped to a 20 gauge needle. The dang med was so thick it wouldn’t go through the 20 gauge, so I had to stick her with the 16.

Goat skin tents super well, so getting 6 mL or more in isn’t so bad. The babies are tough with their tight skin and how tiny they are. Also tougher to restrain since they can’t go in the milk stand.

toth boer goats and MadHouse like this.
  10. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Now we know no one will get goat deseases. How about teaxhing humans how to do this to himans. I hate needles

MadHouse likes this.
  11. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Always draw back on the syringe and check for blood and to see if there is resistance of pressure of the needle/syringe if it is still under the skin.
    If it pulls back really easy, you are all the way through the skin.
    If that is the case or you see blood, remove needle and find another spot before giving the shot.

MadHouse likes this.