Can a 1 year old be banded?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by PsRumors, Jan 27, 2011.

1. PsRumors

PsRumors New Member

Apr 11, 2009
    Cartersville, GA
    We have a 1 year old male the wife wants to keep but he needs to be neutered. We can't find a vet around willing to do it and was wondering if he could be banded.

TIA

2. Desert Viking Ranch

Desert Viking Ranch New Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Arizona
    Someone else correct me if I am wrong but I am not aware of any issues that would prevent you from banding a 1yr old buck. I would say it is fine.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    If he is a 1 year old... his testies are most likely to big.....if not if you can get the bander around both of them.....it may work...just make sure he has his tetnus shot and I would give him banamine for swelling...he will be quite uncomfortable for a while.....when they are 1 year old ...it really is best... for it to be done by a vet.... especially when you can't get the bander around them.... :wink:

4. ()relics

()relics New Member

Dec 25, 2010
    Indiana
    If you can get his pieces through the banding tool and into the band then you can band him...He may still always smell and act like a buck but should be infertile....better get someone to help because he isn't going to like it.

5. Springbett Farm

Springbett Farm Senior Member

Jan 5, 2011
    Nebraska
    My vet recommended that my bucks be wethered AFTER they turned 1 yr. old as their "plumbing" is more mature and you would have less urethra problems. ( He aslo said that if you have goats intended for meat it doesn't really matter when you band them.) If I remember correctly, he told me as long as you are able to fit the band over the scrotum, then banding should be fine; otherwise castrate him- it's faster.
    So yes.

6. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Not sure if I missed the breed - but if he has a nice "set" on him - you can use a cattle bander. I banded a 2 year old Boer with the farmer up the roads cattle bander. I just checked my 5 month old angus bull the other day and it is time for him also ---- and the bull bander is coming back!

7. PsRumors

PsRumors New Member

Apr 11, 2009
    Cartersville, GA
    He is 50% boer and 50% yard goat. He has a pretty good set but I think I can get the band around him.

Thanks for the info.

8. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    I just did a yearling Nigi. Poor guy, I had to tie his legs to the stand and squeeze one through at a time but he doesn't seem in the least bit concerned about it now. I updated his vaccinations and am keeping a close eye on it.

9. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I banded a 2 year old nigi buck successfully....had to have hubby help me but Teddy is now a happy wether almost a year later.

BTW...He doesn't have the bucky aroma but he still acts like a buck when the does are in heat.

10. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Like Alison said, I bet you will need a cattle bander but yes I know a lot of people that do it then. I wish I would of known that years ago. I took two bucks to the vet and had them banded and it was horrible. They got a infection and oh man it was horrible