The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a little buckling that is two 1/2 weeks old. He is starting to show eager signs of wanting to breed his Mom:confused:. He is headbutting and jumping all over her. Quite frankly, she is perturbed with his shenanigans and started charging at him when he is jumping all around. We were going to start separating him at night and put him in with two other (one month old) doelings. Now though, I don't know what to do. I don't want to find out that he can breed and have two doelings pregnant:eek:. When he hits seven weeks, it would be the third week of July. Is it possible for him to go into early rutt? He is a LaMancha X dairy mix. Let me know what 'ya think.

·
Registered
471 Posts
It's pretty unlikely that he's fertile at such a you age, but not unheard of. Young bucks can start experimenting early, but not be able to do anything. As long as his penis isn't extending you're in the clear.

·
1,524 Posts
At this age their testicals are not producing enough testosterone to make sperm. That comes with sexual maturity. All kids mount, butt and jump all over each other and their dams, that's normal play that helps them learn how to be a goat. Human kids do the same, a 5 year old boy could not impregnate a girl because the equipment is not functioning. Same with a 3 week old goat kid.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
I was shocked when one or two of our first ND kids started "practicing" as young as -no I'm not kidding- one day old! I think that as a breed, they are just super hardy and healthy from the moment they're born. :wink:

·
Registered
29,973 Posts
I would say no...they get playful and frisky but most can not even fathom breeding until 4+ months....there could be some rare case..but Ive not heard them :D

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I was shocked when one or two of our first ND kids started "practicing" as young as -no I'm not kidding- one day old! I think that as a breed, they are just super hardy and healthy from the moment they're born. :wink:
I can absolute relate! That is the only down-side to Kiko's, the little turkeys mature early, they are quite frisky at a very young age and I've got the kids to prove it! :hair:

·
Registered
718 Posts
One of my lil bucklings started practicing at 13 HOURS old! He's a complete hornball! Now at 2 weeks, he's tongue flagging, blabbering and everything! Got a good "talkin' to" from the other goat momma the other day though - pretty similar to when dad answers the door with the shotgun in hand. It was a clear "dont TOUCH my daughter again" message. LOL Next day he was all over his brother instead. Go figure. :rolleyes:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts