Can a doe be pg and show signs of heat?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Iwantgoats, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Iwantgoats

Iwantgoats New Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Missouri
    I know my doe is pregnant with a due date in April unless she got pregnant the first heat cycle then she'd be due the end of this month. She's already losing her plug. So can a doe be pregnant and then the next month show signs of a heat cycle? She's a pygmy. She's got softball/grapefruit size udder development and she's a FF.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    loosing her plug one month out its not uncommon. I would go with the second due date but keep the first in mind just in case.

all her signs point to at least a month out

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I have several doe that show signs of heat when they are close to kidding. I had three does with their butt ot the bucks waving their tail and some had their babies that after noon and others were a few weeks out.

4. greatcashmeres

greatcashmeres New Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Maine
    I believe my Molly does this. Last year was her first time, and she had me questioning her pregnancy, until it was obvious. Appears to be doing the same thing this year.

5. pelicanacresMN

pelicanacresMN New Member

A few of my does are due within about a weeks time & every once in a while I catch them trying to mount the other does. They are definately due soon with large udders & huge bellies. Goofy goats :) Maybe it's this nice 40 degree sunshiney weather we've been having that puts them all in a giddy mood.

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I think - let me know if im wrong here - that she was asking if her doe would be due per the first breeding date due to the fact that she is loosing her plug right now.

Iwantgoats was saying that her doe stood for the buck again so she has a second due date. therefore she was wondering because of the lost plug and the udder forming if she had settled for the first due date and just stood for the buck the second time even when pregnant.

Did I get the question right?

7. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Yes...especially first fresheners...I guess it because they are still clueless about the whole process and their brains and bodies are not communicating very well yet...lol...