The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 1 of 5 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find myself up early, the outside temp is less than the teens and I know nothing about "training" goats. But I wanna learn.

My experience is two years of raising goats and packing. I started with a couple of Saanan weanlings and traded, swapped and scrounged around until I have 4 goats. Three of which are mature enough to pack.

Also I'm older than most of you by at least twist. Don't know if that is good or bad.:worried:

I don't think that a goat is actually "trained." I think ya simply get goats "used" to stuff. The "handler" is the one that gets trained by the goat. Novel tho't, huh?

I'm used to horses and cattle. Goat's simple ain't the same.

I attempted to "load" the goats in the truck. What a fiasco! Treated 'em like horses. Wrong!

3 goats in, one hanging back. 3 goats in and the "hanger" in. Several iterations of that and the afternoon's enjoyment was pretty much erased. This experience was in the mountains after a great afternoon of shooting.

Solution: Rebuild the stock rack with swinging doors. Build in a feeding trough. Park pickup in pasture. Put oats in trough. One goat quickly catches on. Other goats observe. All goats in truck.

Leave truck in pasture for several days. Repeat above.

Goats load almost automatically.

Oh, when goats escape, which they will, and roam the neighborhood :blue: goats follow truck home. Actually I simply stick a couple of fingers in my mouth and whistle loudly resulting in a stampede of goats in my direction.

You see, they've trained me to get them used to "oats after whistle".

What am I gonna do about streams, ponds, etc? :mrgreen:

I find I'm so trainable that I'm thinkin' of getting a mammoth jack to haul me around the mountains and let the goats do the packin'. :worried:

1 - 1 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.